• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

P'let vs Lovebird?

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I know both can be nippy and territorial, but is one better than the other? Imo lovebirds are cuter, but not so keen on their shrill chirp, but worried about a p'let being too feisty for me. Is one more cuddlier than the other? or more interactive? I'm looking for a cuddly, interactive, clownish/entertaining, fine sitting on my shoulder/preening bird. Does that fit in the p'let description? Thanks for your help.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Really either could fit that description. Plets have the potential to be shrill as well. Is there something in particular that draws you to these species as opposed to a green cheek conure or a cockatiel?

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
In my personal experience, I have found that parrotlets and lovebirds are very similar in their personalities. I would say that parrotlets are more fiesty and bold, but generally not "overly brave", while lovebirds are completely fearless and have absolutely no qualms standing up for themselves against larger birds.

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I really want a GCC, but after watching numerous youtube videos of their screeching it was hard on the ear drums. The hubby also said he couldn't listen to that everyday. As for a cockatiel I've had one in the past. Whenever I would enter/leave my room he would screech so loud, I was sure my roommate/neighbor would complain. I figured a lovebird/p'let would be more quite and chirpy vs screechy.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
P'lets and Lovebirds can be just as loud and shrill, and tend to have a lot more sass in them, from what Ive seen. They can be cuddly, but also have independent streaks a mile wide at least. As for interactive, any bird is interactive. Both species are certainly clownish and athletic, and will often get into all sorts of messes if you take your eye off them for more than three seconds. ;D

Both species are very, very similar. Both are active, high energy, bossy, shrill when they wish to be, independent, and can cuddle/preen. However, it does sound as though a cockatiel is more up your alley, perhaps a female. They tend to be more quiet than the males, but any bird can deliver that loud, high pitched contact call. From a budgie to a macaw, there is no way around it, and it comes down to the individual bird rather than the specie. Perhaps looking into birds at shelters, or socializing yourself with different birds at a respectable local bird specialty store for a few days may help you select the right fit.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
My lovie is LOUD loud loud. He's louder than any tiel I've met.... before you decide I would definitely find a place that has a lovie sounding off that you can hear

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
If loud is a problem, you will be hard pressed to find any bird that doesnt have its "moments". My plet ised to "sound off" everyday at about noon. He would perfectly imitate some very annoying wild birds, chatter & screech for about an hour.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
I say this as Pickles is glued to my shoulder in full snuggle mode....plets all the way! Maybe it's because of how I've trained him. Maybe it's coz i've had 'tiels all my life... But I'll take a cuddly snuggly plet over a love bird any day. That being said there are times when he's uber cute and snuggly. Then there are other times when he's a total brat. Usually within about 5 mins of each other