• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help!

BabyB

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,
I recently adopted a peach faced love bird, he/she was about a week (that’s what I was told). A breeder in my city had 3 babies but expressed that mom and dad were not taking care of the one they were getting rid of and they were going out of state and can no longer take care of it. This was on a Craigslist ad. I have a peach faced lovebird already but she was much older when I got her so this is my first time hand raising a baby. It is now almost 3 weeks (I think as breeder had said it was a week old when I picked it up). I have been feeding it, keeping it warm, and it has been doing great! It’s gotten big and it looks like it’s feathers are coming in. I did notice when I got it that the joint on its right leg did not bend. It was and still is straight. I thought maybe it would out grow that but now I’m noticing it can’t move it’s toes either. :( I have googled a couple of things and I’m sure it’s not splayed legs but can’t find anything on the bend part of it’s leg. When it tries to stand up it just slips :( Is there anything I can do to help it? Or would it be ok to just leave it? Do I need to take it to a vet? I’m so sad to see it not be able to stand when it wants to :( I attached pictures of both sides so you can see the difference in it’s joints

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is more than I can take in and advise you about. I would seek an avian veterinarian consult.

Hopefully other more experienced with ones this young will be able to add more .

BabyB

This is more than I can take in and advise you about. I would seek an avian veterinarian consult.

Hopefully other more experienced with ones this young will be able to add more .
Thank you so much! I am currently looking for a avian vet that can help but no luck just yet I have been told they only see dogs and cats :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you so much! I am currently looking for a avian vet that can help but no luck just yet I have been told they only see dogs and cats :(
If you are willing to share your general location our members may be able to help you locate a vet who will be suitable

BabyB

If you are willing to share your general location our members may be able to help you locate a vet who will be suitable
Of course I live in Albuquerque, NM I would greatly appreciate it

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi poor little baby thank you for taking him on
I definitely think you need to see a vet but hopefully @Zara maybe able to give you some advice

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello,
Good of you to take the little guy in and try, but he does need a vet to give them a chance of fixing the leg. It won't heal on it's own. It could be a number of things, but a vet will be able to narrow it down and start trying to fix.

A breeder in my city had 3 babies but expressed that mom and dad were not taking care of the one they were getting rid of and they were going out of state and can no longer take care of it.
They are not a breeder. They're either a backyard-breeder or some kid experimenting. No responsible breeder would do that.

BabyB

Hello! I wanted to thank everyone for the info and give everyone an update. I was able to get him into a vet and the vet told me to give him another week or so, we took him back for his check up and surprisingly it turned out great! His leg is a lot better! They said it could have been a number of things including the way the “breeders” were keeping the babies. I must agree with Zara that they must be backyard breeders as they weren’t willing to keep him because of his leg. I have reached out to them to ask a few questions because I was told by the vet that he did not look as old as they had told me when I picked him up but no answer. They must have took him out days old and not a week old but I’m glad I took him into my home and took care of him. He is getting so big, his feathers are starting to show color and I can definitely tell he loves me as he cuddles with me all the time :) Here are some pictures of his legs today I’m so happy to finally see him stand on his own and be able to move around. Again thank you all so much I appreciate you all :)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looks much better. Glad you got him to a vet! :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Glad he looks so much better :heart: