• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
hi my african greys nose become bigger , i took him to vet and he said the reason is vitamin a deficiency and it shoud anesthesia and remove the things in his nose
I dont know what shoud i do i am worry about anesthesia and other problems it make , please advise me what to do

Max83

Walking the driveway
if it necessary and is risking his life in this situation I think there aren't other options apart take the risk of the surgery...what is stuck in his nose?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Amir_es5 It does appear as if there is something in your baby's nostril. What it is we can't tell until the doctor goes in and looks. Could be a seed, could be a glump of snot and it could be a growth - just don't know. The new products and the new methods used with anesthesia in birds is quite safe. You only hear the horror stories. not the successes. My two GWs have been anesthetized dozens of time without one detrimental effect. The birds that have the most issues with anesthesia are the little bitty guys.

Please have the vet trim his talons and beak while he's under anesthesia - the talons/beak are much too long. Then get several natural branches for perches in his cage. Did the vet check him for bumblefoot - it is quite common with dowel perches. Then ask your Dr. how to correct his Vitamin A deficiency and how to make it never ever happen again. Many members here can help you a lot with providing your bird a healthy diet.
He is beautiful.

Max83

Walking the driveway
He is a beauty! but beak and nails trim needed seems to me too... Hope everything will go well, I'd do the anesthesia, the nostril seems clogged and I am sure he can't feel well right now.

How old is he?

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
Thank you
He is about 22 , the vet said he will use isoflurance for anesthesia , he said it is dead tissue that become big due to lack of vitamine A and it will go bigger and bigger and put presser on other part of his head
He said i should take him to do the surgery and clean his nose then change diet and use vitamine A suplement and foods
But i am not sure yet what to do, if I dont take him for surgery his nose make problem for him? Also i am not sure the reason is vatamin A deficiency
Also the vet trimmed his beak today and he become so angry he doesnt eat anything for 24 hours he just take sunflower seed ti his beak and then drop it is it normal?!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep, they get mad, but they get over it.

Tell us what his diet is and we can probably tell you why he has a vitamin A deficiency. African Greys also need more calcium than other birds and he should always have a mineral block in his cage. Why do you think it is not Vit A deficiency.

What country do you live in - your vet sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Lots of great advice here :) The only I have to add is my Moluccan cockatoo had surgery on his wing once and it went really well! @Hankmacaw is quite right, you usually only hear about the bad outcomes but anesthesia is quite safe :)

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
His diet is coocked beans fruit brocoli corn and about half of his diet is sunflower seeds
I dont know i just doubt i dont want to do something that hurts him i dont know it is better to do it or let it be like this
Also i am worried beacouse it is 2 days after trimming his beak he doesnt eat anything

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I do not think he was throwing down the sunflower seeds because he is angry.
The beak has nerves in it. Sometimes a beak trim will hurt those nerves and make it painful to eat, especially hard things.
feed favorite soft foods, check his weight daily
In the future give many things to chew up and keep his beak in shape so he never has to do this again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Givng him 1/2 of his diet in sunflower seeds is harming him mmore than surgery would harm him and probably is the cause of his vitamin A deficiency. If he is like most parrots, sunflower seeds are like candy to him and he will eat them to the exclusion of healthy stuff. A seed diet is notorious for giving parrots a Vitamin A deficiency. A severe Vitamin A deficiency kills.

Instead of sunflower seeds start changing him over to pellets. I don't know what country you live in so don't know what pellets are available. Make sure that there is no sugar in them and that there is added Vits A, E and D3. Cut out the corn as a staple in his diet and give him dark green leafy vegetables like Kale, Romaine lettuce and Swiss Chard. For nuts give him almonds mainly, as those are high in calcium and AGs need more calcium than other birds. Other healthy nuts are walnuts, pine nuts and pistachios. You want him to be healthy and he obviously isn't healthy now.

What is your bird's name and how long have you had him? He really is a beautiful African Grey.

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
Yes you are right i saw he feel pain when he tries to eat pomegranat seed and he drop it , so how much does it take to his beak pain become well?

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
I am in iran
There is no good brand of pellet here
I have him for about 10 years, his name is kasku!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Can you get monkey biscuits in Iran. Many birds have lived their lifetime on monkey biscuits, just make sure you get the ones for Omnivores. A friend had a female GW who lived to 77 years old and much of her life she had been fed monkey biscuits - because that's all there was for parrots. Almost any pellet is better than sunflower seeds.

Something like this would be good (although you would have to either soak them or break into smaller pieces. Amazon.com : Zupreem Primate Dry 1 lb : Pet Supplies

Kasku, what a good name for an AG.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yes you are right i saw he feel pain when he tries to eat pomegranat seed and he drop it , so how much does it take to his beak pain become well?
I wish I could give you a good answer. I've never had beaks trimmed but my Goffin once cracked the tip of his beak because he tries to take things apart all the time.
I would think you should be seeing improvement after a week. Can you feed things like baby food, cooked oatmeal, bread with peanut butter, ripe papaya or banana... I don't know what soft foods are available to you. If you can weigh him do so daily, or feel his keel to see if he's losing too much weight.

Max83

Walking the driveway
keep us updated about the beak..poor guy. I whish the best to him!

Amir_es5

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
He is eating a little soft food , he brake pistachio very hardly and pick very small amount in each bite it is because of his beak but he still cant brake sunflower seeds

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What your bird has is called a rhinolite and is caused by a vitamin deficiency. It is probably more uncomfortable than anything else but should be removed under anesthesia. It sounds like you have a good vet. I know it’s hard but I would try to trust him.