• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help!

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
It sounds like the birb really likes and wants to hang out with you. This is a good thing. Don't be so hard on yourself! Lots of love and congrats on your flockmate!
Thank you! :hug8:Sometimes I think he does like me, but other times I wonder if I’m pushing him too hard.

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
The first morning my cockatoo was in our house, I went running downstairs when I woke up because he wasn't making any noise and I was afraid he had died during the night. Seriously. It was so ridiculous but that was my first thought. That the stress of a new home had killed him. He of course was fine. So, you see, everyone has anxiety with a new bird. It will be fine. :) (Oh- and I long for those quiet mornings now. LOL. He thinks the whole house should be up at 6:30 a.m.)
I’m glad I’m not the only one! And I can just imagine the cockatoo noise. :lol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Honestly - you probably are expecting too much too fast. It's just the way we are. Birds, on the other hand, have a different time schedule. Theirs is slow and easy, we have all the time in the world. :)

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That was last night. Tonight I kept him in the bird room instead of taking him into the bedroom like I did above. He was a lot less willing to get in the cage tonight (just put him to bed) and likes to escape up my shoulder. I kept him on my hands as much as I could and saw him preen, beak grind and yawn. He still screams a lot. Especially when either me or my boyfriend leaves the room. He is always talking which I honestly didn’t anticipate. I stopped doing what I did in the video because I thought it made him bite too much and thought maybe he’s telling me to back off. I was trying to keep him calmer tonight. He does try to go on my shoulder/neck sometimes but I feel there’s some mixed signals going on.

Last edited:

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Seems like you are doing all the right things, to me. His behaviors, in my opinion, are showing that he likes you. But I totally hear what you are saying. I brought my Lovebirds home last July...........I didn't expect myself to become as anxious as I did over the same concerns you had. Am I doing everything right, are my birds happy, etc. I only expected to be happy and have fun with them. But I was a totally new bird owner so all of a sudden I panicked. But now almost a year later, my birds are fine and happy and I am much more relaxed. You'll do just fine!! You already are.

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Seems like you are doing all the right things, to me. His behaviors, in my opinion, are showing that he likes you. But I totally hear what you are saying. I brought my Lovebirds home last July...........I didn't expect myself to become as anxious as I did over the same concerns you had. Am I doing everything right, are my birds happy, etc. I only expected to be happy and have fun with them. But I was a totally new bird owner so all of a sudden I panicked. But now almost a year later, my birds are fine and happy and I am much more relaxed. You'll do just fine!! You already are.
Thank you. I’m certainly glad I’m not the only one with anxiety over a new bird. Mine happens as soon as I wake up. I have a panic attack where I can’t breathe, and I feel like crying. I also can’t eat. My stomach is in knots and hurts. I’m hoping I get over it soon.
Is it normal for them to talk constantly? I feel like he never stops. Ironically I got him because I heard they were quiet. I definitely expected noise and knew birds made it but I never knew he would make noise every 3 seconds. Is that normal for these guys?
He also doesn’t play with any toys and wants to be on me constantly. If I have to do anything he tries to hold on and when I put him down he screams until I come back. He also screams if my bf leaves the room.

Last edited: