• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help

Jawon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
I have a beautiful 4 year old GCC. She was sick couple of days ago (kept sleeping, closing eyes, dropping is runny ) took her to the vet,got xrays,blood work. The vet said she needs more blood culture but the x ray showed some fuzzy stuff in the lungs. She proscribed her doxycycline 1 shot weekly 8 shots total I think. My poor baby is at home now resting. Still eating here and there but not her energetic self. Not a huge apepitie like she normally is. Was just wondering if anyone else went through this and how their lovely birds acted while on this medication ? Is she just fatigue cause she is sick ? She still loves to move around and stuff but when she gets the chance and sits still she closes her eyes an take short naps ..
Thanks guys I'm so nervous..

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
"fuzzy stuff in the lungs" is that the total of what the vet said? That is so vague. Besides making her comfortable I don't think anyone could really advise. Is the vet doing the other culture?

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
Yes, the vet we saw was a avian vet. I'm crushing up some pellets and mixing warm water to make like musy for her and she's eating that. She is eating just not as much as she use too :(

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
Yea the vet is doing the culture. Sorry for vague description. The vet believe my GCC has a infection in the lungs that the doxy should clear up

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I think @Macawnutz Korbel had a bad reaction to doxy. She had to switch antibiotics.

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
My GCC got her first shot yesterday and was weigh. I'll do it daily at home too. I'm keeping her warm and stress free. Letting her rest and monitoring her close.

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
First round of doxycycline shot *

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
First the doxy injection is very hard on birds, I can't imagine how painful on a little bird vs my blue & gold. It's a very large needle as the medication is thick. They bleed and have pain from it. That will have your little one not feeling herself. You can ask for the oral medication. It will be given twice daily. I can't imagine your little one having 8 of the injections, that's a lot.

My BG got the oral meds after his first shot and he became violently ill. Vomiting everywhere constantly. My green wing had the injection without ill effect.

Get the culture done. You may even want to run an asper titer too.

@Hankmacaw

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is her breathing? You can take her into a warm, steamy bathroom sometimes if she is open beak breathing or just for comfort.

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
I do that too, I take her while I take a steamy shower and she enjoys it.
I'm just down to see her like this, she's aways so energetic and chirpy. All she does now is moves a little eats a little, and naps here and there

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please check to have her medication given by a less painful route.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry your little bird is sick, I hope she'll be okay!
:sadhug2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Please check to have her medication given by a less painful route.

For many birds it is less painful than toweling twice a day. The doxy injection lasts a week as it has a slow release. Some birds tolerate the injection well, others don't. Some tolerate the orals well, others don't. Korbel is massively allergic to both. It makes him very ill. We had to choose a different antibiotic entirely.

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
The avian vet did say the medication was available orally , but it's better to have it in injections since most birds she came cross especially GCC didn't tolerate the oral very well.. I just want my pretty bird to perk up and be herself ..its so painful to watch her like this.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine always had their injections at night, so I could take them home and they could rest overnight. They are definitely lethargic after though.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
i'm so sorry you and the bird have to go through this. all my good wishes to you, i hope your darling GCC makes a quick recovery

Jawon

Avenue Veteran
@LunaLovebird did they stay lethargic for a few days after the shots? And did the lethargicness go away after a few shots? Thank you so much for giving me info. First time going through this and I just can't focus on anything else. You guys are awesome thank you, thank you so much

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@LunaLovebird did they stay lethargic for a few days after the shots? And did the lethargicness go away after a few shots? Thank you so much for giving me info. First time going through this and I just can't focus on anything else. You guys are awesome thank you, thank you so much
Every bird has a different reaction. Some worse than others. Lethargy is, I believe, common. It is also possibly because your bird is sick. I would call your vet and see what they say.