• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Please help with ruptured air sacs (I think?!)

Opumilio

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! First timer here. My new little baby is 3-4wks old. I've only had her for 3 days. When I got her home I noticed that both of her cervical air sacs appeared to be ruptured and formula had obviously made its way into them. Both are reducible with pressure but immediately reappear if the crop is full. They are barely noticeable and deflated when her crop is empty. Since then I've been feeding a much smaller volume more frequently in an attempt to keep the crop pressure low. She is extremely vigorous, growing/feeding well, with no defecation problems. Have y'all ever had this happen? I need your advice! Please

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi there.

This is air in the crop. So the problem here is your feeding technique.

Which utensil are you using?
I´m going to guess you haven´t handfed before? Is there someone who can show you? The seller? A vet?

If there´s noone who can show you, I recommend switching to a spoon. If you want to monitor amount you can use the syringe to pick up formula then put it on the spoon to actually feed it.

Opumilio

Thank you for your reply! I haven't been the one feeding up until 2 days ago, the breeder had been prior. I've handfed a few times before and have studied up on it quite a bit. I am definitely trying to be careful and eliminate the possibility of any additional air. I'm using an o ring syringe but I've also used a spoon just to try it and she did great! The pic is from when I first got her prior to me feeding. I used a light to candle the bulges and now there isnt any air in them but they still swell with formula very quickly even after just a little bit of formula (before the crop starts swelling). Is that a problem? Other than that she is doing very well. Thanks again!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did you notice less air when feeding via the spoon?

The crop starts empty. You come along and feed the bird, but you´re bird is swallowing faster than you are feeding causing them to swallow a lot of air. It is called aerophagia. The air should disappear as the crop contents are digested. Some people will massage the air out, but this is dangerous for a novice as you can push formula up and they breathe in as the fomula enters the beak, it can aspirate the chick. Remember, feeding to fast with a syringe can also lead to aspiration. Which is why getting taught hands-on the handfeeding tecnique with a syringe is important, it´s not so easy to learn by reading.
It is important that when the crop is empty, there is no air in the crop. And that once per 24 hours the crop empties completely. Crop not emptying overnight, or air not leaving the crop are signs something is wrong.

If the spoon is working better, feed using the spoon.
If not, call your vet and see if they can squeeze you in to help show you.

Opumilio

Thanks Zara! She eats so readily that it seems like the spoon works equally well so I'll maybe just go with that from now on. I'll do a thorough inspection next time her crop is completely empty and see how the sacs look. I really appreciate your thorough response, it's very helpful

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hey, how´s the little one doing? Hope all is going well :)