• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help with leopard gecko

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Her eyes has looked funny for over two weeks. Seemed like it was a shedding issue so I tried to moisten the area and help her out but nothing helped. Then it was shedding time again and I hoped that would do the trick but it's just made it worse. I'm still working on helping her shed it but I hate to keep rubbing her eye and making it worse.

Last night it looked a bit better after I worked on it a little with a wet cotton ball. But now this morning it looks even worse. I'm holding her with a wet towel on her eye now. I don't know what else to do. She has a moist hide and she uses it. Before this happened the lighting in her set up was not good because my son was using a bright light and leaving it on at all hours and I think that got her all messed up and stressed. I have fixed all that now.

IMG_4440.JPG

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Here is a picture from right now

IMG_4451.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is the humidity like in the rest of her enclosure? And what temps do you have her at on the hot and cool sides? Is there anything in her cage she could have poked herself in the eye with?

Do you have a vet available to take her to?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I'm sure there are geko forums. Any herp related forum would be able to possibly guide you. I don't keep gekos, so can't advise anything except the usual vet visit. BP.net is an active ball python forum with many geko keepers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Is there actually an eye cap over the eye that hasn't shed or is the eye irritated? If you can moisten the eye cap using a q-tip and then get the edge of the eye cap with tweezers that sometimes works. If you are not sure how to do this or whether or not this is the issue, then I'd see a vet if I were you. When I had a bearded dragon I never had any eye issues with him but I have dealt with a stuck shed in a snake before. While a light on constantly isn't good I'm not convinced just changing the lighting is going to work. There are actually eye drops that can be used on reptiles prescribed by a vet if it is an eye issue.

edit: I wouldn't normally recommend using tweezers near an eye, especially if the animal isn't docile. If there's an edge on the eye cap it helps to grab it and then take it off gently with fingers. If it won't come off then don't attempt to pull it. I just wanted to make that clear in my post.

P.S. This isn't a bad read
Retained Eyecaps in Reptiles Causes and Solutions

Last edited:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thanks everyone. The hot side of her enclosure is between 83-89 and cool side with the moist hide is between 74-79 usually. I have an under tank heat mat for her on the warm side. I got a ceramic heat bulb yesterday but I don't think it's going to be necessary at this time. Maybe in winter when our house stays a bit cooler.

I am looking for a vet to take her to. But I won't be able to take her until next week. I was hoping I could trouble shoot it till then.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks everyone. The hot side of her enclosure is between 83-89 and cool side with the moist hide is between 74-79 usually. I have an under tank heat mat for her on the warm side. I got a ceramic heat bulb yesterday but I don't think it's going to be necessary at this time. Maybe in winter when our house stays a bit cooler.

I am looking for a vet to take her to. But I won't be able to take her until next week. I was hoping I could trouble shoot it till then.
I'd keep the warm spot 89 or 90 F. Eye issues can have multiple reasons unfortunately.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It does look like there is some left over unshed skin around the eye it may be just stuck on over the eye ...I would use a q-tip with warm water and gently run it over the eye several times to see if the skin comes off some times it does get stuck and you have to gently remove it ..if there is any swelling or discharge I would take her to a vet ...when I was breeding leos I would make sure during shedding they had a wet hid in both the warm and cool side of the cage normally I would use moss for this so if they wanted to burrow they could ...it doesnt look infected yet but you have to watch out for eyes and bad sheds because they can easily get infected..BTW how are her toes make sure you watch those as well with bad sheds :)