• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

PLease Help with answers of a experinced bird owner

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Can some one help find where it is I would go to ask questions, I go to forums, but there is nowhere to go on to a actual forum., nor is there nothing that says "start forum" or "open forum" I have been on here all day since 9am this morning and have not left the computer. All day still cannot ask a question(ooh I wish it was Monday) Vet would be open.
My Question is" my Chloe laid 1 egg last night, since has been (I thought) off n on, somewhat normal. She hasn't though, she has been laying in my hand all day, fluffed and periodically making a what sounds like a small chirp sound. Does anyone have experience with this kind of stuff. What are the signs after laying 1 egg, that she may be getting ready to lay another. Or how long in between do they lay eggs? also her poop is almost black green, and she only pooped 2 times today. Just want some advice or if anyone knows anything. I been sitting in front of this computer with her in one hand, in my lap/housecoat, typing with the other, crying off n on, not knowing what to do. If she is going to lay another egg, how will I know? and how will I know if she is having trouble? Is it normal for her to sleep allday and night after egg laying? Is the behavior I have explained "normal" for budgies, after egg laying?
Please, so upset and frustrated. Just want answers. tired of sitting here with my baby girl, in distress and not being able to figure out where to post something on this site. Please Help
Kodeek

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have no experience in that area, but I assure you some of our more knowledgeable members will respond as soon as they read your post. I'm sorry you've had such a tough time finding answers and wish Chloe the best.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
I have no experience in that area, but I assure you some of our more knowledgeable members will respond as soon as they read your post. I'm sorry you've had such a tough time finding answers and wish Chloe the best.
I appreciate your concern, and your reply! Sure wish I would receive some input. Starring at this site from 9am til now, while crying has been a terrible day for this family! I give Chloe the love you give her!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will tag a person that breeds budgies for you and see if she can help. I do not breed or have I ever experienced egg laying by any bird. @PoukieBear

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
:depressed::depressed:This is what Chloe has been doing all day DSCF2043.JPG DSCF2044.JPG she has had a piece of toast and water, out of my hand. Other than that, this has been our day:banghead::banghead: Just don't know what to do. :confused: Oh I pray she bounces back ! ! Is she sick? Is this Budgie behavior after laying a egg at age 8 1/2 ? I just don't know :( Forgot, her head is all tucked in around under her wing

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you are not sure if she is sick then the best thing to do is to have an avian vet check her out.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
If you are not sure if she is sick then the best thing to do is to have an avian vet check her out.
I am tomorrow morning(if I can afford to) I'll find a way. was just hoping someone might of been through this experience and may have some input

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am tomorrow morning(if I can afford to) I'll find a way. was just hoping someone might of been through this experience and may have some input

If it's been more than 48 hours since the first egg and she is still lethargic she is definitely having problems. I would suspect the second egg (if there is one) is causing issues. Again, diet and fitness related.

She "is" sick and needs urgent medical care.

I will be honest. The size of your bird. It's age. Sudden egg laying all do not work in your birds favour. If she survives the night I hope the vet can save her. Get her help ASAP.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree. :)

Is this Budgie behavior after laying a egg at age 8 1/2 ?
I have been breeding budgies and none of them did react like that, but also my females was much younger.

She has been laying in your hand all day, is not eating and drinking, her poop isn't normal and she has only pooped twice this day, and she is making small chirp sound.
All that is signs for a bird that needs avian vet care ASAP. If you wait til tomorrow it can be to late. Let's hope that I have wrong about that.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
If it's been more than 48 hours since the first egg and she is still lethargic she is definitely having problems. I would suspect the second egg (if there is one) is causing issues. Again, diet and fitness related.

I will be honest. The size of your bird. It's age. Sudden egg laying all do not work in your birds favour. If she survives the night I hope the vet can save her. Get her help ASAP.
Thank you JLcribber Thank You, for your honesty. I need honest, as much as it hurts me I wish I could get her in tonight, but I have to wait until tomorrow morning. Trust me, we will be praying for her. we are crushed! TY

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Poor baby. I can't offer any advice and what has been said, is also helpful. I will send my good thoughts and wishes her way to be able to get medical help ASAP.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She needs heat, right away. Put her in a small cage with a heat source — a lamp or heating pad. Don’t overheat her.

If you have a syringe you can beak dose vitamins + calcium if you have it, or a product with electrolytes for birds or even pedialyte (like you give to young children) which you find at the grocery store in the baby aisle. Dribble it on the side, do not force it in. You will see her swallow it then give more. It is a slow task but spend some time doing this, it will save her.

If you have baby bird formula, you can water that down and beak dose it the same way.

First thing in the morning === call the vet! Or get her to the emergency vet clinic tonight.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
oh my goodness, Thank You for that input. I have already called the avian vet, left them a message. they not opened tonight. They know were coming in the morning. This is a great tip. I should have that on hand anyways! thanks for that!
Appreciate your input!

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
I really appreciate that. there probably is one. I don't have transportation until the morning, my drive works back shift, he be here at 7.30am-8am, the vet is expecting us. Watching her closely tonight. she seems to be coming around slowly but surely! she's eating OMG she's up out of my partners blanket, just flew on my shoulder! YES! he's been saying that egg took a lot outta her. (she just flew onto her cage) This is good stuff! ooh my G. she's eating out of her dish in her cage.... woow. Thanks my ride is phoning as I typ. keep you posted...looking good! :omg::faint::hug8:

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Great! When my elderly finch had egg laying complications (egg binding), my avian vet suggested putting her in the bathroom with the shower running (not under the water) so she could breathe in the steam a little and hopefully relax her muscles a little bit to help her lay the egg. Just thought if it could possibly be egg binding, but in your case it seems much more severe... hoping everything goes well!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Once the egg is laid, it can take a few hours to a full 24 hours for them to recover, is she on calcium? If she laid yesterday, the next egg will be about 48 hours from the first one...you'll be able to tell from labored breathing and what we call " shrimp butt"..when the egg is low in the vent area...the tail will hang low and the lower back will be hunched..warm, dark, quiet and hydration to let her feel at ease and comfy, safe to pass the egg. I hope shes ok, only you know her, trust your gut.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
ooooh, poor little girl ! I'm sorry I wasn't on here over the weekend.

Laying eggs at 8.5 years old is very odd indeed, and definitely not healthy for her. She's probably exhausted and taking her time recovering.

Do you have any cuttle bone you can give her? If she is going to lay more eggs, she will need all the calcium she can get, this will help make sure that the eggs are formed properly and that she doesn't get egg bound.

When budgies are laying, they tend not to poop as often, but when they do poop, it's HUGE ! Shockingly huge. This is normal, so don't panic about that just yet.

If she is going to lay another egg, it will arrive 48 hours after the first one. You can throw her off a laying cycle by putting a blanket over her cage to reduce daylight hours, move her toys and perches around in her cage, and make sure there are no items in her cage that she will view as a good "nest" location. No half coconut shells, no extra large food dishes, no cozy sleep huts, and definitely don't give her a nest box!

Please let us know how she makes out at the vet today!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wondering how Chloe is doing today Kodeek? I am not sure how to tag people yet, so hope you see this post.