• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help! Is this a Senegal ?

Niavian

Moving in
This poor little guy came to my back door panting and acting extremely dehydrated. (doing a lot better now!) However.. I'm not entirely sure what he/she is??

Also-- do you think he's currently in the process of molting? Or did some of his previous flock members pluck out all of his head feathers?

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes that is a Senegal, as far as I know! You are wonderful for taking this little Guy in!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Yes it is a Senegal. I would like him/her to the vet to rule out diseases. If you have other birds please make sure you quarantine him/her away from them.

Niavian

Moving in
Yes that is a Senegal, as far as I know! You are wonderful for taking this little Guy in!
Thank you so much! :)

Yes it is a Senegal. I would like him/her to the vet to rule out diseases. If you have other birds please make sure you quarantine him/her away from them.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, he's actually staying over at my parents house for now. I haven't let him near any of my other birds and I'm definitely planning on bringing him/her to the vet for a checkup. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is lucky to have been found by a person who knows how to care for parrots. Have you put up any flyers to see if you can find the owner?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The yellow on his head makes me wonder if he could be a Senegal/Meyer's cross.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you for taking him in!

Niavian

Moving in
He is lucky to have been found by a person who knows how to care for parrots. Have you put up any flyers to see if you can find the owner?

Absolutely! I actually live out in "middle of nowhere" -- so I've been going house to house :lol:He's a very shy, aggressive little guy. I brought him in to one of my vetrinary professors and she suspects he was "set free" (unfortunately lot of people out here tend to think domesticated birds can survive out here..) However, I'm still definitely going to make posters and put them up at local feed stores!

Thank you for taking him in!

Oh, absolutely! :heart: I was thinking the same thing!! The little tufts of yellow on his face is what made me less confident about him being a Senegal :huh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping the Senegal.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The yellow on his head makes me wonder if he could be a Senegal/Meyer's cross.
My Jason is an occasional plucker. The area he plucks is on his neck. In this area which used to be green, the feathers are now yellow. So I assumed the yellow was from feather/follicle damage. But I suppose he could be a cross.