• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help identify species and mutation

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
I started with fresh vegetables like carrots and cucumber but the dont show any interest on them. I even hang the vegggies inside the cage but nothing. Should i worry? Advise please!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Try giving vegetables different ways. if you have given them raw.........try cooking some broccoli, broccolini, green beans, pea pods, Brussels sprouts, yams, make a mash out of it and try it that way. Try giving it to them with seed mixed in or pellets mixed in. That way they have to dig through and around the vegetables to get to the seed or pellets. You kind of have to persevere and just try all different ways to offer the vegetables. Most birds will eventually slowly switch over. Try skewering your vegetables and hanging them up around the cage. Food court might have more suggestions for you. Also you might try some of the dehydrated prepared blends of vegetables and beans from some the AA vendors. You just have to soak them and then serve. Good luck, it's not easy, but it is necessary so just be creative and don't give up.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I found raw broccoli, corn, and leafy greens to be the easiest sell.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Hi all again! Its been a couple of days since posting!
A few updates:
Now my birds seem to have settle to their new environment.
They are also all the time next to each other , sometimes kissing - feeding eaxh other, or grooming their feathers of each other.
Are those signs of mating?
They dont enter inside their nest , nor shredding paper or the palm fonts that are in their cage.
Also we are in good road with the food. They started eating some veggies and eggfood plus some bites on the cattlebone.
Is there any chance of being the same sex ( both males or females) and show this behaviour?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I've found lovebirds love anything green and leafy. I hang pieces of greens like romaine, spinach, dandelion etc. from the top of the cage and keep it there with a clothes pin and my girl loves that and she'll nibble on the greens all day. I remove them when they start to wilt a lot or at the end of the day.

The big favorites are green beans, dandelion leaves (big ones, not the little ones from young dandelions) and romaine.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys

A couple of days ago my 2 lovies started entering into there nest. And most of the time of the day they are in. Shall i expect eggs to come soon?

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Possibly. Are you prepared for all that entails?

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Yes. I am ready to take care of everything. Hopefully they will lay eggs and for all the rest am prepared for.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Breeding really is hard on the birds. Since they are still quite young and you haven't fully sorted their diet yet, I would strongly encourage you not to breed them for the moment. Can you remove the box?

Edit: looking back in your other photos, it is probably also worth investing in a better cage, some toys, and some better perches. You want them to be as happy and healthy as possible if you intend to breed them.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
That was there first cage. I will post photos soon from there new one. Also the are eating everything now, like brocolli lettuce green peppers boiled egg, there seeds and a few times a week apples

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Eyerings are mature for breeding at 2+ Years of age. I personally would remove the box until next year.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
They stay all night in the nesting box and also most time of the day.
Are these signs of mating? I havent seen them doing the act yet!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could still have two males or two females... unless you get them sexed, you wont know if they are male and female unless they produce fertile eggs.

Simply going into the nestbox isn't a sign that they are or will mate.

Bobbyzee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zee
Hi wonderful pair.they are maskeds lovebirds a pic different from real life colours but one could be blue the lighter one and the little darker shade one could be cobalt.as far as breeding the bonding will take place kissing cuddling if they bond well and are male and female they will mate.as far as feeding cuttle bone good for vatamins.and i feed mine spinach its good for there feathers and colour.lettuce also good but my experience it makes there stool watery.give Apple as well very good.As far as offspring depending on the genetics but could be cobalt and blue chics.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi wonderful pair.they are maskeds lovebirds a pic different from real life colours but one could be blue the lighter one and the little darker shade one could be cobalt.as far as breeding the bonding will take place kissing cuddling if they bond well and are male and female they will mate.as far as feeding cuttle bone good for vatamins.and i feed mine spinach its good for there feathers and colour.lettuce also good but my experience it makes there stool watery.give Apple as well very good.As far as offspring depending on the genetics but could be cobalt and blue chics.
Normal lettuce and apple are not nutritionally very good. Regular lettuce is mostly water, and apple is largely sugar. You are better off sticking with things like spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard, carrot, zucchini, dandelion greens, etc.

Last edited:

Bobbyzee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zee
Normal lettuce and apple are not nutritioonally very good. Regular lettuce is mostly water, and apple is largely sugar. You are better off sticking with things like spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard, carrot, zucchini, dandelion greens, etc.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
These birds need a larger cage.