• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

please help, I really need to know what to do to clean my birds cage

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
I've already posted a thread about this, but I'm really desperate. I have anxiety and so I'm losing sleep over this. I clean their cage every week, but I don't have any where to put them so I can wash their entire cage once a month. They are not hand tamed at all, they are comfortable with me and eat out my hand with millet, but are afraid of my hands by itself. so I can't put them on my finger, and I can't let them out without having the catch them with a towel. I'm getting scared that they'll forever be sour with me, and I would hate myself. please help.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Could you remove their food from the main cage, and put treats and food in a travel cage or smaller cage? (ie; wait for them to venture to the other cage on their own, and then close the door so you can take the main cage to clean.)

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
that sounds like a really good idea, I can try that but I'm scared I may not be able to afford one. hopefully I can

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You could also let them out in a small room (like a bathroom) so they can fly around and play while you clean the cage, when the cage is clean put it in the same room as them with foods you know they love and wait for them to happily return to their cage on their own then shut the door.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Try having them step up on a perch you're holding instead of directly on your hands.

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
I have a similar issue at the moment. My budgie doesn't often come out of his cage (we're still working on that one) so what I do is get a slightly damp cloth and put it between my fingers so as little of it as possible is showing and carefully wipe down each bar. If at first your bird is scared of the cloth (which is perfectly normal) just leave it by the cage for a few days until they are used to it. Unfortunately, this isn't a long-term solution but it could work until you are able to clean it properly.

Good luck!