• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please explain wild blue and gold behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
This morning, one of the blue and golds came down on top of my pet macaws cages. This is not that unusual because if the squirrels got to the walnuts on my wild macaw feeder they'll raid my birds cups on the cage. (My birds were out free). Anyhow this young macaw (brown eyes) did not fly off with his group although there was a lot of vocalization i guess to say "Hurry up" , sat on my balcony for at least an hour and did try to fly down to my cages but my greenwings went after him. ( I couln't decide if my young greenwing was trying to be agressive or friendly). My greenwing cocked her head and did that macaw gutteral trill but when the B & G landed she was definately after him. ASnyhow after about an hour , the other macaws started calling in the distance so the young bird took off.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the documentary The Real Macaw, they mention that young birds will sometimes look for relationships outside of their family group. It's nature's way of enriching the gene pool, I guess. Other than that, and especially since your birds are another species, I'd say the young fella was just curious. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how I would love to see them Daria..sounds like he was curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.