• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playstands?

Rob

Walking the driveway
lets see your playstands! Looking for inspiration.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don’t have a great pictures on my phone right now but here are a few, those are just a simple playstand to take with me when I take the fids downstairs, their training perch and their christmas tree:) I am at my father’s so can’t really take more pics, but I might make a Nice new one this weekend! What sort of playstand are you looking for? 9F2DC6C5-96F0-4D82-9E87-9C2E6D0622EA.jpeg EBFF938C-2020-4AF1-BC08-883931825F0F.jpeg 03645E36-F422-49E1-B03C-9FD39D15384E.jpeg 3444C7C5-4931-4626-B769-9FDB0B74F277.jpeg

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I love the wooden stands. It's my preference. I know a lot of items are made out of PVC but not all are created equal. Because we use PVC pipes in our aquaponic systems, I did a lot of research on PVC piping and what type to get. Here is what I found about PVC:

But, from both an environmental and health standpoint, PVC is the most toxic plastic. Here's why: Vinyl chloride, the chemical used to make PVC, is a known human carcinogen, according to the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).Feb 22, 2013

Manufacture and Disposal Concerns. The manufacture and disposal of PVC creates potent environmental toxins. Polyvinyl chloride, the main ingredient of PVC pipe, is classified as a known human carcinogen. ... This is also a problem during building fires, where exposure to burning PVC puts firefighters at risk.

Wood, has none of that once it's been cleaned, cured and ready to use. As long as you know where the wood came from and has nothing dangerous, it's natural and if the birds chew on it, so what. PVC on the other hand makes me nervous unless I know who manufactured it and where. Food grade is what I always go for.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I love the wooden stands. It's my preference. I know a lot of items are made out of PVC but not all are created equal. Because we use PVC pipes in our aquaponic systems, I did a lot of research on PVC piping and what type to get. Here is what I found about PVC:

But, from both an environmental and health standpoint, PVC is the most toxic plastic. Here's why: Vinyl chloride, the chemical used to make PVC, is a known human carcinogen, according to the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).Feb 22, 2013

Manufacture and Disposal Concerns. The manufacture and disposal of PVC creates potent environmental toxins. Polyvinyl chloride, the main ingredient of PVC pipe, is classified as a known human carcinogen. ... This is also a problem during building fires, where exposure to burning PVC puts firefighters at risk.

Wood, has none of that once it's been cleaned, cured and ready to use. As long as you know where the wood came from and has nothing dangerous, it's natural and if the birds chew on it, so what. PVC on the other hand makes me nervous unless I know who manufactured it and where. Food grade is what I always go for.
This is a bit misleading. First off, there's a difference between flex pvc and rigid pvc. Flex pvc shouldn't be used around birds. There's also different grades of pvc. Most PVC includes heavy metals like lead. Whereas the PVC that I use for my stands is furniture-grade, rigid, lead and heavy metal-free and manufactured in Florida. This kind of pvc is rarely found in stores, but is easily found online.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
You should not drill or burn pvc around your birds, but furniture grade pvc is stable up to 140 degrees F.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Thanks Matto for clarifying. I know there are different types of PVC and I'm no expert by any means. I do know that there are PVC pipes that are okay for human grade. I wasn't trying to put your stands at risk and just knowing the differences obviously makes your play stands safe.

Not all are like you Matto! A lot of people think they can just run down to the hardware store and get whatever PVC and use it. They shouldn't. Just like wood, some of poisonous for birds. We have used many different types of PVC for human grade consumption for testing, not many passed but due to $$ being made they just keep selling it thinking that it will be used for pipes where no one will be chewing it or playing with it.

We were concerned because whatever comes out of these will contaminate our food source. That to me is unacceptable. We've seen it first hand when the plants in our aquaponics unit (by the way we use PVC in our unit) not doing well after installing a new pipe somewhere, we found that certain PVC pipes are much better than others.

Thanks for letting us know what you use. It helps relax my heart a lot! :heart::heart:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Thanks Matto for clarifying. I know there are different types of PVC and I'm no expert by any means. I do know that there are PVC pipes that are okay for human grade. I wasn't trying to put your stands at risk and just knowing the differences obviously makes your play stands safe.

Not all are like you Matto! A lot of people think they can just run down to the hardware store and get whatever PVC and use it. They shouldn't. Just like wood, some of poisonous for birds. We have used many different types of PVC for human grade consumption for testing, not many passed but due to $$ being made they just keep selling it thinking that it will be used for pipes where no one will be chewing it or playing with it.

We were concerned because whatever comes out of these will contaminate our food source. That to me is unacceptable. We've seen it first hand when the plants in our aquaponics unit (by the way we use PVC in our unit) not doing well after installing a new pipe somewhere, we found that certain PVC pipes are much better than others.

Thanks for letting us know what you use. It helps relax my heart a lot! :heart::heart:
Oh, of course! I agree completely, I just wanted to give some nuance to the issue. PVC is a great and easy way to build playstands, so I'd hate for people to swear it off completely when there are safe options available.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
HhdRT97xQB2c8Kg%diKrHA.jpg We've added to this stand with more branches from a California Sycamore and we put a lot of branches in the birds' room so they can have places to perch outside their cages or toys. I'm trying to re-create outside on the inside. The dead leaves are difficult but we use a Stanley Shop vac to clean the room and I've got clear shower curtains on the walls to catch all debris.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
BDCF3176-02CB-4D4D-AB4A-0FB5FFC7D5F7.jpeg 650358B0-4AB0-4927-9193-0E4D13967F5E.jpeg
These are two of the stands I Made this weekend, they are simple but it is Nice to have those spread across the house/room. Once there are toys and a few foraging opportunities on them They won’t even look too bad:rolleyes:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Laylatoo where did you get the round rope atom toy on the middle play stand? It is very cool.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Love seeing all these gyms.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have several play areas for the birds. In the living room, they have a large gym, a suction cup window perch, and a little basket perch next to the sofa.
In their bird room, they have another basket, a smaller gym, and several open cages and cagetops.
Of course, being birds, they don't care how big or nice a gym is. In the living room, they spend as much time on the little basket perch as they do on the big gym where all their toys and food are.. because the basket is closer to where people are sitting. But on sunny winter days, the window perch is the favorite.
P3205086.JPG P6066714.JPG

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I HIGHLY suggest cargo nets versus playstands. My birds get 1000 times more use from the nets, and we don't even use playstands anymore. They get so bored, and not much exercise.