• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

playing around the thought of a companion for Louise

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I don't think I am ready yet, but beginning to think Louise is ready for a companion. I've read that Grays only like to flock with other Grays. Would the only real choice be another Gray? She is enthralled by the YouTubes of cockatiels. I am enthralled by caiques (which I are not really a match for my lifestyle and they seem to need to be in pairs), and by toucanettes (which I could not keep on the diet and wouldn't be much company for Louise). I am not close at all to a second bird...but am thinking about it. Watching her sing along with videos of the cockatiels made me a bit sad for her even though she was having such fun... Thoughts?
thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I think another grey is the best company for a grey. They speak the same language. But they may not get along. And it is twice the work for you.
Quack and Darwin are not really friends. He invades her space on her play stand and they beak spar. But if they are separated they call for each other and start to get a bit frantic until in the same room again. They whistle back and forth and sometimes whistle the same short song together. Quack is the only bird Darwin will address by name. The others don't qualify. He will only speak to them if they are making too much noise and then he'll tell them "stop". If Darwin can't see Quack but she is near, he will ask "Quack, where are you?" Darwin learned all Quack's noises within a week or two. Now when I hear a high pitched "hello" I'm not always sure if it's Quack or Darwin imitating Quack. :lol: They are fun to have together though.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
In the wild Grey's live in single species flocks, unlike some South American species that live in large mixed groups. I want to eventually add another Grey to my house, but like DQTimneh said there is no guarantee they will get along. I would recommend that if you can try and set up play dates with your Grey and any future Grey to see if they get along, how they interact, etc.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Quack and Darwin are not really friends. He invades her space on her play stand and they beak spar. But if they are separated they call for each other and start to get a bit frantic until in the same room again. They whistle back and forth and sometimes whistle the same short song together. Quack is the only bird Darwin will address by name. The others don't qualify. He will only speak to them if they are making too much noise and then he'll tell them "stop". If Darwin can't see Quack but she is near, he will ask "Quack, where are you?" Darwin learned all Quack's noises within a week or two. Now when I hear a high pitched "hello" I'm not always sure if it's Quack or Darwin imitating Quack. :lol: They are fun to have together though.
That is adorable beyond belief!

The closest thing that I have to that situation is the relationship of Igor and Mocha. They share one large cage, but I wouldn't call them friends. When they are separated (usually when Igor has ventured over to a human for interaction) Mocha fusses and flock calls to Igor until he comes back. When food is put into the bowls, Igor is first to eat...Mocha patiently waits for him. Igor also starts play time...Mocha follows.

They both have tried to be friendly with Sunshine, who wants nothing to do with either of them...he prefers to spend time with his people over birds...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
That is adorable beyond belief!

The closest thing that I have to that situation is the relationship of Igor and Mocha. They share one large cage, but I wouldn't call them friends. When they are separated (usually when Igor has ventured over to a human for interaction) Mocha fusses and flock calls to Igor until he comes back. When food is put into the bowls, Igor is first to eat...Mocha patiently waits for him. Igor also starts play time...Mocha follows.

They both have tried to be friendly with Sunshine, who wants nothing to do with either of them...he prefers to spend time with his people over birds...

Are they all males?

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Ella is very happy with having Babe and Daisy (Cockatiels) as companions was not my intention to find her one, but they needed rescued at the time and she loves talking and talking and talking to them, they are all in the same room and come out of the cages together. Ella fav is Daisy something about her that has Ella stating I love you alot to her, but they are get along so sweet. Make me happy that I don't have to do different times to let them out. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Are they all males?
All definitely males.

When Goalie- our last girl tiel, was alive, both Igor and Mocha constantly tried to woo her with song and heart wings...she'd just look at them with a funny look...:rolleyes: