• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playful Bird :)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
They are doing well. I didn't want to give too many details in my past post for fear of stealing the thread, but since you asked, I have made substantial progress since I first brought them home "very untame" last summer (From a PetStore of all ugly places too). Charlie is still a bit spooked of my hand, but will eventually allow me to pick him up without panicking (If I need to pick them up). Usually he opts to hop over my hand and hitch a ride on wrist and then will usually flutter over to the shoulder where he will sit quite content. He's hard sometimes to get off the shoulder though as he will again run from the hand. Eventually he will fly off when he's had enough of the evil 5 fingered claw. Emma is the flip side. She does have her moments where she does not want to be handled, but she is by far the best at stepping up and perching on my finger to transport anywhere I need. If she is in a chill mood I can usually always approach her with an index finger and place under her breast and she will gladly step up. Sometimes she will hop over the finger and fly off or will hop on and then soon after fly off, but point being, she is not as concerned about the claw as Charlie is. I make it sounds terrible, but they're really ok and don't mind. I did an unconventional experiment long ago and decided to try intentionally handling them more often. I ultimately decided to call off this training regiment as I felt I was unnecessarily stressing them out. The experiment was halted only a day or two after it began. It seems though with time, this ended up working out for the best as they now are reasonably if not very comfortable being picked up. I remember the first time I had to trim their nails a month or so after I brought them home. I felt soooooo bad. They were mortified being picked up and held, struggled and made the most heart wrenching sounds imaginable, but it was a necessary evil at the time. Now they just give me a look like, "Really... we're gonna do this again?... Sigh ok whatever just do what you gotta do... I have a warm bath scheduled in 15 so hurry it up." I am still working on getting to the point where they feel 100% safe and secure on, in, or near my hands. Right now, the hands are still somewhat enemy #1. My current training regiment involves getting them out of their comfort zone as much as possible (ie in the kitchen, especially up on the teaspoon rack) and also introducing them to as many people as possible. I put them on everyone's shoulders that come over to visit. I will put them both on my shoulder and take them to the couch to watch some TV. Charlie usually only likes to sit on the shoulder far away from the claw. Emma usually prefers to hop down on my arm (usually away from amorous Charlie). While she is on my arm, I work on gently stroking her head and back (I know what you're thinking and its ok lol, she has a very willing partner ie Charlie). I am working more with Emma right now as she is further along in her training and I am hoping that Charlie picks up on it by association, ie "Ok maybe the claw is not so scary after all." The ultimate goal is to have both C&E fluffed up relaxed and asleep in my open cupped hands. We're not there yet lol.

Everyone loves posts with pictures...

MVIMG_20180529_133303.jpg MVIMG_20180520_131035.jpg MVIMG_20180618_011046.jpg MVIMG_20180518_142819.jpg MVIMG_20180602_191437.jpg MVIMG_20180602_191437b.jpg

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 I have two friends who had the exact same experience with Peeps, it's funny!!

One loves birds (had a cockatoo) and kept trying to entice Peeps to him. Peeps wouldn't go near him, but instead spent most of his time standing on our other friend, who just kept working on the group work. :laughing2:

Canaries are funny!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
OH MY GOSH THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!!
I think I remember reading your thread at some point, they look very familiar to me. :)

Dude! It sounds like you've made lots of progress since they came home with you. I hope you're proud! They look so comfortable, I can tell they're in a good home. :) I'm glad to hear that you're considering their stress level while training. Keep up the good work!

Peeps and I are actually in about the same stage. He does not like hands :( Interestingly, he will fly to and perch on my fingers if I'm playing music. He just doesn't step up without it~~
Snapchat-830131751.jpg
He does peck on my finger nails though whenever he's on my laptop and I'm typing. So he's not totally scared..??? He's odd! :laughin:

I think I recall watching a video stating that some canaries may never warm up to being handled, so it's not my priority. It would be nice though if he could comfortbally sit on my hand. Maybe some day! :)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Someone finally captured a pic of Peeps on my hand! He was on my phone, watching a video of him on my phone.... :laughin:
Screenshot_20180630-171030.png
He got to some TP the other day... his favorite lol!
20180701_161651.jpg
20180701_161707.jpg
20180704_083438.jpg

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Very true..canaries are funny and also very individual too.

My Willow likes to play with tissue. I use kitchen roll to cover corner platforms and there he is rearranging it lol as soon as I pop it in..gonna have to try newspaper me thinks, to keep things clean.

Love the sneeky picture of Peeps on your hand too.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15

They sure lik tissue paper! ...Well toilet paer for Peeps...

I keep a roll in my room to pick up his poop, but he likes to pick on it and rip pieces off lol! Often times, he'll fly up somewhere high (like the top of my bookshelf) so I can't got after him! :laughin: I have to blow the thing away from him once he drops it, otherwise, he'll just pick it up again ahah

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Oh yes toilet paper here too..kitchen roll in kitchen is useful but with kids they would go through a box in a week so toilet tissue is used alot.

I love seeing the birds with a bit of tissue..very playful. I have to remove every piece though for now because the boys see it as a sign to build a nest. Ive seen several males during breeding season show the hen a possible nest site and drop it in lol..they are very funny