• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Play time with Princess Skywalker today :)

ESR

Meeting neighbors
It's the first time I've gotten to really concentrate on playing with her outside the cage; up to now, it's just been mostly talking to her through the cage because she got spooky when you tried anything else. Today, because she's finally starting to relax, I let her out of cage to explore and it went really well. Her favourite perch is her Booda, so I tried out our small spare one as our "travel perch"; she won't step up to my hand yet, but she goes on and off the Booda very easily, so, first goal accomplished. We sat down on the floor and she immediately started stretching and flapping like she wanted up, so I tried lifting her up to sit on my knee; she stayed there for about two seconds, then scooted straight up to my shoulder and started preening my hair. As tetchy as she's been, I did NOT expect that to happen so quickly-needless to say, I was jazzed. :) On the less positive side, we have to learn "fingers are friends, not food!" but it seems like that might be easier than I thought, too. Sky doesn't seem nippy, per se, but she likes to gnaw fingers; the few times she did, I scolded her (calmly, but firmly) and put her straight back in her cage. After a couple-three times, she seemed to get it, because she stopped trying to chew on me. Smart bird? I know so. Bonding with me? I think she might be. :) She's definitely farther ahead, socialization-wise, than I thought she was.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going well. :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She sounds like a sweet little lovie who has decided that you will do nicely as her servant. :)

ESR

Meeting neighbors
More playtime today; she's learning "step up" really quickly-when it suits her, anyway-and she seems to have chosen her favourite hang-out spot-the back of my neck, under my ponytail. I'm planning on getting my hair cut soon, not sure what she's going to do then, but for the moment, it's cute. :) She's a little nippy when it comes to ears; any ideas about fixing that? Fussing at her works for now, but I wonder if that's the best method.
This bird is way, WAY more socialized than I thought she was; I am very happy, and I intend to go back to the pet store where I got her to heap praises on the lady who hand-raised her.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Just be gentle with her when moving her away from your ears. Graice has been doing this to me and I scoot her away a little with my hand and she knows to stop. Just keep in mind my bird is a lot older and has a lot more training time. Also get her use to being on a perch as well. I did that with Gracie when she was little and it made it easier getting her from perch to hand in no time.