• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plastic table cover

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I got a clear plastic table cover for my birds play station. It has a new plastic smell and I'm wondering if it's toxic. If I air it out for awhile it will loose the odor. Will it be safe then or continue to release chemicals. Does anybody know about this. I don't want to poison my baby.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
yes it is, I would use cloth cover, becuz they like to shred plastic. try looking for old sheets at garage sales.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Same as Macawnutz stated I aired mine out for a week or so it lost the plastic odor, then used it on my kitchen island. Ella is a tad messy when she eats and it wipes clean and she hasn't tried at all to chew it, it has teddy bears on it. :p

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I know that many plastic tablecloths are toxic, containing PVC and other very harmful chemicals. You can find information online about the toxins in tablecloths. It is suggested that parents don't use them for children, and that they are not food safe. You can find nontoxic tablecloths if you look for ones that are laminated cotton. I bough one on etsy for my birds. They are rather thin, so I don't know if your bird would ruin something like that, but my cockatiels do not chew it. @rocky'smom had a good idea with using a fabric of some sort.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
it is NOT pretty having bits of plastic whatever, flushed out of your bird's crop either , and can be very expensive too boot.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I use them under my cages to catch spillage of waste and food - they are awesome in that regard and just wipe off!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
After reading all the bad stuff about soft plastic I've decided to have a piece of glass cut to fit my wood table..don't know why I didn't think of this before. Not nearly as cheap as a tablecloth but I get to see the pretty wood and my sweetie will be safe .

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
In case anyone is interested I got a price for a 34" square of 1/4" glass and it is $38 . Not as bad as I feared. A couple of meals out missed and it's paid for.