• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plastic bowls: how to get rid of them?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
If this topic is in the wrong part of the forum, just let me know!

I've been holding on to eight clear plastic bowls that came with this cage I currently have for my tiels, and even though I bought stainless steel bowls ages ago, these plastic ones are taking up space. I was originally keeping the bowls to go with the cage for when I eventually get rid of it (my dream is to get my tiels their own bird room/aviary some day!), but then I realized that, given the health risks associated with plastic bowls, I didn't want ANY bird using them!

I was wondering if these bowls could be recycled? There isn't any indication on the bowls themselves. :meh:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If there is no marking on the bowls, it is probably best to just throw them out.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
If there is no marking on the bowls, it is probably best to just throw them out.
Darn... Such a waste. :( Maybe I will keep them around to use for foot toys or something like that.

Thank you for the advice! I know it was sort of a silly question. :shy:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If your area takes plastic recycling just put them out and see if they take them. Here if they can't take something they usually leave it and a note on why. They take used oil here but it has to be labeled and in clear jugs with lids. I put a bunch I'd been saving after doing the family fleet oil changes and they left most of them but also a note saying they could only take 2 jugs at a time.
I put out 2 more each week and they took them with out issues after that.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
If your area takes plastic recycling just put them out and see if they take them. Here if they can't take something they usually leave it and a note on why. They take used oil here but it has to be labeled and in clear jugs with lids. I put a bunch I'd been saving after doing the family fleet oil changes and they left most of them but also a note saying they could only take 2 jugs at a time.
I put out 2 more each week and they took them with out issues after that.
Wow. That is thorough! I wish they did that here!
I think I'll try to put in a phone call and ask.

I feel like, since these bowls are entirely plastic and not mixed materials, they should be recyclable...