• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Has anyone put a small plant in their bird's cage? Obviously you have to get one that's safe and edible and doesn't have pesticides on it but I'm thinking about adding a stawberry plant or something for foraging. What do you think?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't know for sure, but I would worry about fungus in the soil. I know aspergillosis is often found in house plant soil. How much of a risk it poses I don't know, but I would err on the side of caution.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't have plants in the cage but have plenty around my house. Some might not live that long anymore since the birds shred and eat them .

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Perhaps you could plant like, a bean seed in some coconut fibre (which is just shredded coconut shells, it's used for reptile bedding) I've grown beans in just coconut fibre before and the entire plant is edible so it would be fun to destroy and eat

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Perhaps you could plant like, a bean seed in some coconut fibre (which is just shredded coconut shells, it's used for reptile bedding) I've grown beans in just coconut fibre before and the entire plant is edible so it would be fun to destroy and eat
That is a really neat idea, I have thought about some sprouting or a chia pet before. Will try the coconut fiber, do you think the one they sell for hanging baskets will work?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
That is a really neat idea, I have thought about some sprouting or a chia pet before. Will try the coconut fiber, do you think the one they sell for hanging baskets will work?
I'd just buy the one for reptiles because you'll know it's free of chemicals because it's used for delicate animals like frogs. The brand name is Eco Earth