• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plant Suggestions for Cichlid Tank

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ithaca has very good water levels: .10 ammonia, 5 nitrate. :)

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
We even went so far as to purchase what was, supposedly, pre-matured water and it ended up having the same cruddy water as ours. Imagine my chagrin when we paid for 100 gallons of water. :( All of our levels were bonkers, though. My husband just reminded me that we had to get bottled bacteria to, finally, get things on a roll.

Ithaca has very good water levels: .10 ammonia, 5 nitrate. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The only bottled bacteria I like or recommend is Dr Tim's One and Only. You usually have to buy it online, but it works well.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I like prime and ammonia drops. :) the fact I have a ton of filter media means I can cycle it very quickly. :)

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
I like prime and ammonia drops. :) the fact I have a ton of filter media means I can cycle it very quickly. :)
It's one oft he many reasons we went to a sump system. Other than a monthly water change - about 1/3 of the tank, our system has never required additives and our chem levels have always been well within range.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great! My tank is overstocked, (needed emergency tank for 5 huge fish left to die in a pitcher) so I do occasionally need prime. I also use it for water changes. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I use prime exclusively. I don't even understand what you mean by 'ammonia drops' o_O

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do you mean a test kit?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I use that, but no. Liquid ammonia to cycle my tank using the fishless cycle.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh got ya. Just be sure to note for others considering this, that you must use suds free ammonia. Not so easy to find. Some say you can find it at the dollar store. I have never cycled a tank this way..

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Carole. :) this is ammonia especially for fish cycling. I wouldn't feel comfortable using other types.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yeah, much more expensive and it's the same exact thing... :hilarious:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd rather be out $5 bucks than be out my wonderful finned babies. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Nah people use it all the time...seriously. :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess since I'm not an expert cycler, I just feel very uncomfortable about using non-fish tank ammonia. Who knows why!!

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
The problem with using ammonia drops is that it can mask nitrite levels and give you a false reading. If at all possible, cycle the tank prior to placing fish into it. It will mean a delay in placing fish into the tank, but well worth it in the long haul. Also, and most are aware of this, if your ammonia levels spike a little bit, decrease the amount you feed instead of, immediately, adding ammonia drops. Also, consider adding some bio balls to your over the tank filters if you don't have a sump system.

Many people, not saying anyone here does, feed their fish far too much and far too often. Feeding twice a week is, typically, all aquarium fish need. Over feeding is, quite often, the culprit for ammonia when a tank is already established. Goldfish and cichlids are both known for being "dirty" fish and create quite a bit of detritus, adding to the ammonia issues.

Oh, and here's a good rule to follow in regards to how many fish one can, safely, have in a tank - an inch a fish per gallon of water. ;) So, for instance, our plecostomus is about 16" long so requires 16 gallons of water.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
That's great! My tank is overstocked, (needed emergency tank for 5 huge fish left to die in a pitcher) so I do occasionally need prime. I also use it for water changes. :)

This made me giggle. I think I could fit only one of my fish in a gallon sized pitcher and that's with no room to move. My plecostomus wouldn't even fit in that. :hehe:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
The problem with using ammonia drops is that it can mask nitrite levels and give you a false reading. If at all possible, cycle the tank prior to placing fish into it. It will mean a delay in placing fish into the tank, but well worth it in the long haul. Also, and most are aware of this, if your ammonia levels spike a little bit, decrease the amount you feed instead of, immediately, adding ammonia drops. Also, consider adding some bio balls to your over the tank filters if you don't have a sump system.

Many people, not saying anyone here does, feed their fish far too much and far too often. Feeding twice a week is, typically, all aquarium fish need. Over feeding is, quite often, the culprit for ammonia when a tank is already established. Goldfish and cichlids are both known for being "dirty" fish and create quite a bit of detritus, adding to the ammonia issues.

Oh, and here's a good rule to follow in regards to how many fish one can, safely, have in a tank - an inch a fish per gallon of water. ;) So, for instance, our plecostomus is about 16" long so requires 16 gallons of water.
Actually, the inch per gallon rule is a total myth and can greatly endanger fishes' lives.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
This made me giggle. I think I could fit only one of my fish in a gallon sized pitcher and that's with no room to move. My plecostomus wouldn't even fit in that. :hehe:
2 6inch shubunkins, 2 fancies, and a common pleco smushed into a pitcher!
The "owner" abandoned the fish when he moved out. He didn't even leave food!