• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plant safety

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I have these three plants in the living room where my new CAG is going to live.
The one on the left is a spider plant and the one on the far right is a Christmas Cactus that flowers all winter for me.

The one in the middle I have no idea but the picture of the flowers might help someone recognize it.

Are all these safe? If not I will dispose of them.

Thanks Bert

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
The plant in the middle with the star-shaped flowers is a Wax Plant. All three are considered bird safe.

Also, thanks for the trip down memory lane. My parents had a wax plant growing in my bathroom when I was growing up. It's still there, decades later.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Plant in middle is a Hoya. Toxicity: Hoyas carnosa produce a milky sap laden with latex and are considered toxic. This does not necessarily mean they are poisonous; however, it would be best to keep them out of the reach of pets and children. Anyone with an allergy to latex should avoid handling the plant if it is damaged.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
The plant in the middle with the star-shaped flowers is a Wax Plant. All three are considered bird safe.

Also, thanks for the trip down memory lane. My parents had a wax plant growing in my bathroom when I was growing up. It's still there, decades later.
Thank you for the info. Mines gone nuts with 7 flowers and the sweet smell is attracting ants. Now to figure out where the ants are getting in.

Plant in middle is a Hoya. Toxicity: Hoyas carnosa produce a milky sap laden with latex and are considered toxic. This does not necessarily mean they are poisonous; however, it would be best to keep them out of the reach of pets and children. Anyone with an allergy to latex should avoid handling the plant if it is damaged.
Wierd as I have trimmed this one back many times and never seem any sap from it.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
They're not going to hurt a parrot but a parrot will hurt them. I keep all houseplants away from birds or they get destroyed as toys!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I thought christmas cactus was toxic...

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the help folks.
At this point in time the little guy is only 9weeks old and I won't have him home most likely till the end of August. The plants are on a 3' high glass plant stand so till he starts to fly he won'y get near them. We have been thinking of just removing them altogether and use that for a play area in front of this north facing window.

I hate to get rid of the Christmas Cactus though as it blooms so well all winter and I have had it for over 15 years.