• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plant fertilizers

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
So I finally propagated my Spider Plants, which nearly died 5 times in the process.
But now I want to pot them.
I am growing these with the intention of them ending up in Spearmints cage and also the Hermit Crab tank.
I bought this fertilizer: Amgrow Naturals All Purpose

I'm wondering if it's safe to use, considering it will end up being used for my pets?
Or should I rather try to grow these without. I also considered growing them in coco-fibre but thats already killed one off :grumpy:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Don’t know about your fertiliser as I don’t use anything I don’t make myself. We use water from our worm farms to fertilise our plants but in the past I used to use the water from any boiled veggies and left over tea leaves etc.

We have a heap of spider plants going crazy and we never fertilise them at all.

If you’re going to fertilise consider using fertiliser designed for edible plants- it’s gotta be safe enough to consume so after a certain time frame the plant is fine to use as food.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Don’t know about your fertiliser as I don’t use anything I don’t make myself. We use water from our worm farms to fertilise our plants but in the past I used to use the water from any boiled veggies and left over tea leaves etc.

We have a heap of spider plants going crazy and we never fertilise them at all.

If you’re going to fertilise consider using fertiliser designed for edible plants- it’s gotta be safe enough to consume so after a certain time frame the plant is fine to use as food.
Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That’s not me saying it’s totally safe. Always do more research and weigh up your pros and cons I’m one of those people who is suspicious of anything that you can buy with ingredients I don’t know or can’t readily get.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Or learn to compost. I have been composting for years and I do it on my porch.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
That’s not me saying it’s totally safe. Always do more research and weigh up your pros and cons I’m one of those people who is suspicious of anything that you can buy with ingredients I don’t know or can’t readily get.
I ended up not using fertilizers at all, other than some worm castings. Potted in coco-fibre and praying they'll live.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Or learn to compost. I have been composting for years and I do it on my porch.
I really want to! My hermit crabs eat worm castings so it would be 100x easier if I had it on hand. I might give it a go, i've got space.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I really want to! My hermit crabs eat worm castings so it would be 100x easier if I had it on hand. I might give it a go, i've got space.
Get yourself a snake!

No really - snake sheds can be used for everything. Hermit crab food, if you have a cleanup bug crew, those eat it. Fertilizer. I even know a few people who use it to make soap because it’s essentially a great deal of collagen or something.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Get yourself a snake!

No really - snake sheds can be used for everything. Hermit crab food, if you have a cleanup bug crew, those eat it. Fertilizer. I even know a few people who use it to make soap because it’s essentially a great deal of collagen or something.
I wisshhhh! But i'm not interested in getting a license for them, plus the rats/mice id need in the freezer, heat....gradients or something.
Def on my wishlist though, a garter snake sounds awesome. Pretty sure those guys eat worms.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I wisshhhh! But i'm not interested in getting a license for them, plus the rats/mice id need in the freezer, heat....gradients or something.
Def on my wishlist though, a garter snake sounds awesome. Pretty sure those guys eat worms.
Slugs!

Which is why I don’t have them, slugs are yucky.