• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

planning on getting a caique

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
Hey! i'm planning on getting a caique sometime. it'll be the first bird and i have a few question (already have done most of the basic research). What is their noise level comparable to? i've heard they can be pretty angels to evil demons within seconds, i'm guessing this is to everyone? how are they around people they haven't socialized with? What's the basic size cage for an adult? i've heard they aren't good around other birds(don't plan on getting any other birds ever anyways) but what about other pets?
Sorry for all the questions! :D

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Caiques are loud, hormonal, crazy birds that take a lot of patience to live with.

I'd say their noise level is comparable to a smoke detector. I might not be the most reliable source of this, though, as I've never owned one, just been around a few.
YES. All caiques get very hormonal and can and will bite and draw blood. Frequently.
Cage size should be AT LEAST twice their wingspan, although three times is preferable. Caiques, unlike most other parrots, prefer taller rather than wider cages.

Caiques think they are rhinos. They will charge/attack any other pet without fear, usually ending in them getting killed.

Reactions: tka

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
thanks! i'm fine with having blood drawn, the cage size seems alright(though, i'm guessing wing span are comparable to the size of the animal?) and the other pet in the house will be out of the room the bird will be in. seems to be an alright animal for me at least. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Will this be your first bird ever? Have you any experience with birds?

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
yeah, it'll be my first bird. i do have some experience with galahs, pigeons, etc. my cousin owns a galah and when i was 5 or so my mum did too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do not know much at all about caiques. What do you mean when you ask about how they are with other pets?

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
was just curious to see if they were okay with other pets, seems like they're as aggressive with them as they are with other birds though. i didn't plan to keep any together in the same room anyways though, so it doesn't really matter to me

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
was just curious to see if they were okay with other pets, seems like they're as aggressive with them as they are with other birds though. i didn't plan to keep any together in the same room anyways though, so it doesn't really matter to me
I wouldnt say they are aggressive..but they like to play rought..and they are like Jerkyll and Hyde...but not in a aggressive way

Noise level is high..not Sun conure high but still high...but if you keep them socialized i wouldnt say u would have much problem with their noise level.

Since they like to play rought it can be a problem...but Jack aint aggressive against Toby..more the opposit..he want to play...but Toby dont wanna do that :D

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have two bonded females who are 5 years old. They require time with their people everyday (I let mine out of their cage for about 2 hours daily). They are like toddlers....you need to pay attention when they are out of their cage because they will find trouble. It was the best decision I ever made to get these 2!! They are such fun birds with HUGE personalities! Learn to read (and respect) their body language and you should be fine.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
To be honest my caique isnt that loud... Sometimes my cockatiel bothers me more on loud days.
I do have to say Fred is an a-hole to my dad and brother, eventhough they didnt nothing wrong. Just goes straight for the face attack.
Brother straight away, with my dad he first acts all sweet