• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pita the Goffin's

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At one time I was told that smaller 'toos were easier......:roflmao:
Keno and Cody aren't difficult but they are very intelligent especially Keno and she keeps me on my toes.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to Pita! I can’t wait to hear all about her!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Pita is obsessed with toothbrushes. She tried to rip mine apart yeseterday :wacky:
If you can find the ones with a hole at the end of the handle you could hang some in he cage. :) Or attach toys to the end.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
If you can find the ones with a hole at the end of the handle you could hang some in he cage. :) Or attach toys to the end.
She might like that. I usually have to take her into the bathroom with me as she will fly through the house calling for me when I leave her alone too long :laugh: "Too long" is usually about 2 min. She is so smart, its almost intimidating! She learned "wave" in about 15 min and is learning recall (Usually from her cage to my arm)

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Max Rain I just saw this post on the Dangerous Toy thread:
Dangers of some toothbrushes as toys

Toothbrushes as toys-Warning!
I was discussing with some of my birdie friends about the possible dangers of using toothbrushes as toys. So I thought I would do an experiment myself.
Some toothbrushes have metal chips that hold the bristles in. Some companies use SS chips, some aluminum, some no chips at all.
So I gathered some of my old toothbrushes made by different companies and even bought a few new ones.
I then used rose bush pruners to cut the head of the toothbrush in half. If there were metal chips I removed them and used a magnet to tell me whether they were metal, SS or Aluminum. Below is the list and my findings with pictures. I was thinking that even the chips that are not metal still can cause internal damage if ingested by our birds.
The chips are so very tiny and very sharp. The picture on my finger is my pinky finger. The screwdriver was used to prove that the chip was metal as the screw driver is magnetic.

Toothbrush:
1)Oral B gel head w/side rubber bristles-no metal chips found
2)Oral B full bristle head-metal chips-magnetic*
3)GUM-full bristle head-metal chips-magnetic*
4)Colgate360-no metal chips found
5)Aquafresh Gel head-no metal chips found
6)Reach full bristle head-metal chips found-magnetic**

The reach and Oral B had many metal chips.
** View attachment 59707 View attachment 59708 View attachment 59709 View attachment 59710 View attachment 59711 I do not know if toothbrushes sold as bird toys are free of metal chips.

If you're not sure if whichever kind you buy Pita for unsupervised play, you may want to cut one open first. I didn't know about the metal bits inside some of them.:eek:

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
@Max Rain I just saw this post on the Dangerous Toy thread:

If you're not sure if whichever kind you buy Pita for unsupervised play, you may want to cut one open first. I didn't know about the metal bits inside some of them.:eek:
Yikes! Maybe just skip the toothbrushes. She really liked dog rope toys her previous owners gave her but I took those away also.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe just not unsupervised. Luv Bug has bowls of toys she only plays with when she's out with us.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
Maybe just not unsupervised. Luv Bug has bowls of toys she only plays with when she's out with us.
Pita got a new toy today! A grass mat thing filled with foot toys and confetti like stuff. She seems to really like it. Soon I would like to get her one of those foraging wheels so she has to work for her treats/ pellets. I leave for school so I try to keep her occupied when I leave. Thats also why I leave the TV on when I leave.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Pita got a new toy today! A grass mat thing filled with foot toys and confetti like stuff. She seems to really like it. Soon I would like to get her one of those foraging wheels so she has to work for her treats/ pellets. I leave for school so I try to keep her occupied when I leave. Thats also why I leave the TV on when I leave.
Bug learned her foraging wheel very quickly. I put 1-2 almonds in it when I leave & even though it only takes her a few minutes she is occupied long enough for me to leave. :tup: I did it when I went in the bedroom to lie down once & she didn't even contact call. I think she thought I'd left, but it was nice to know that she's calm after I do leave & not calling as soon as it's empty. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wanted to get Keno this foraging wheel or something similar but it looks like it is too easy to unscrew:

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
So my mother and I clean for this older lady and she used to own parrots! Today we went to clean for her and we took Pita. The entire time she was talking to her and Pita was dancing. She didn't let her hold her but she allowed her about a minute of petting time. I think it went great, and it was a good opportunity to do something different with Pita.