• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pita the Goffin's

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
So I just realized I hadn't made a thread for my new bird! Pita is a 15 yr old female Goffin's cockatoo who is getting onto a better diet of Zupreem pellets and fresh fruits and veggies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Pita. Post some photos when you get a chance. My Goffin's eats Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets medium size and Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill as well as mixed veggies. She gets Avicakes, Lafeber popcorn and Avian Organics Baked treats every now and then.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yay! Another goffin! Congrats!

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
I had a neighbor a long while ago with a wife named Pita who was a sweetheart. He used to tell me it was PITA (Pain In The A**) is that why the bird is named that??? Just wondering??? looks like my Goffin named Coral.
View attachment 277108
Yes actually! Her second owner named her Pita and I stuck with it, although I routinely call her The Queen. I hope to have her for as long as possible! Which is forever of course :D It seems like Goffins are a less common species although I do see a few of them in assorted forums.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome Pita. :greet12:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It seems like Goffins are a less common species although I do see a few of them in assorted forums.
You're right...I don't see G2s as often as I see U2s and M2s, at least around here.

Babysitting Elvis, the G2, is interesting. He's animated and lively, with an amazing mechanical aptitude. He definitely exudes a different energy than Milton, the U2, or even Cassie (LSC) did...:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been seeing a lot of G2s at various rescues. There was one that had about 4 up for adoption. They are listed on Appendix 1 of CITES and listed as near threatened on IUCN although this refers to Goffin's in the wild.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
Pita is officially off seed and on pellets and a little bit of Zupreens "Fun" mix, I can't remember what it's called exactly. One of the only veggies I can get her to eat are broccoli and cauliflower. Sunflower seeds continue to be a favorite. She has a grass mat foraging toy coming from Amazon that I hope she will like. Went on a $80 pet smart run yesterday.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Pita is officially off seed and on pellets and a little bit of Zupreens "Fun" mix, I can't remember what it's called exactly. One of the only veggies I can get her to eat are broccoli and cauliflower. Sunflower seeds continue to be a favorite.
That is excellent progress...congrats to Pita and you!
Now, to cut down the sunflower seeds. Continue to offer a variety of veggies...you never know when Pita could take a liking to something else. :)
Our birds love green bell peppers...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've been seeing a lot of G2s at various rescues. There was one that had about 4 up for adoption. They are listed on Appendix 1 of CITES and listed as near threatened on IUCN although this refers to Goffin's in the wild.
For some reason, our rescue (where Elvis came from) here gets a lot of goffins. We have 3 currently. I think people incorrectly assume that just because they're "little" that they're easier than other 'toos. And then once they find out that they really are a "cockatoo" and not an "easy" bird, they get given up.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think people incorrectly assume that just because they're "little" that they're easier than other 'toos. And then once they find out that they really are a "cockatoo" and not an "easy" bird, they get given up.
Quite correct.

I think, of all the "smaller" species of Cockatoo, Goffins are the smartest, most complex of the them all...and now, getting to interact with one on a most personal basis, I see my estimation is right...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Quite correct.

I think, of all the "smaller" species of Cockatoo, Goffins are the smartest, most complex of the them all...and now, getting to interact with one on a most personal basis, I see my estimation is right...;)
LOL. Elvis will keep you on your toes.