• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus, ringneck or cockatoo?

ParrotsLover7

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Parrot
Hello i am new here, i am a beginner parrot owner and i dont believe in starter birds.

I was just wondering which bird is better suited with a beginner bird owner. A pionus, a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo(i dont mind the noise) and an indian ringneck

Thanks

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you not post any background about yourself that would be impossible to answer.
How old are you? Are you working? How do you live? Do you had animals before? If yes, what kind of animals?
Why do you want a bird? And what do you expect from a bird? How much time are you willing to give your bird?
What do you do on holidays, travel a lot?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you ever interacted with any of these types of birds? Meeting some in person the best way to see what you like and dislike about different kinds.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Cockatoos (except for cockatiels) are really not beginner birds at all. They are very high energy, destructive, loud, very intelligent and socially demanding, and on top of that, produce feather dust that can be harmful to some people as well as other species of birds. They can be good birds for the right people, but not for beginners at all. Also, they are quite long lived, so getting one is truly just like having a toddler for the next 50+ years.

A pionus or ringneck is much more suitable, they could roughly be considered 'medium maintenance', as parrots go. That is to say, they are much easier than most cockatoos, but still, like all parrots, need plenty of care and lots of attention/companionship.

All three birds are very different in behavior. For example, cockatoos are known for being cuddly and needy; ringnecks tend to be not very cuddly and are relatively independent (they still like and need attention and interaction, but are more likely to enjoy just being in the room with you, instead of climbing all over you and getting into everything). Pionus tend to fall somewhere in the middle.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Again without knowing your situation I would just give my own preference which are pionus. I have three and would love more. There is not a better bird out there as far as I'm concerned. They are good size for those wanting a bird with substance. They are relatively quiet and not too destructive.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As the others have said, we need more background info. Have you also looked into cockatiels, conures or bigger species of parakeets, like the alexandrine, plumhead or moustache? I have a male plumhead who is the sweetest thing and gives kisses and will hang on your shoulder, but is also independent and will be happy playing by himself as well. So as Eloy stated, we need to know everything to determine what would work best! My son is allergic to cats and the dust from cockatoos, greys and tiels so we can't have any of them, although I'd love to have a grey. I have two conures and they are probably one of my favorite species. Is it a bigger bird you're after? I love Patagonians too, they are so gorgeous

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
Do you have a house or apartment? Cockatoos are definitely not apartment birds.