• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus refusing to Bathe

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
So we took in a 6-7 year old Pi from my boyfriend's work friend. "She" is very well behaved overall, but will not take a bath in any form. Her previous owners have tried misting, a bowl of water with veggies/just a bowl of water, showering with her, even lightly flecking some water at her. She stinks and her feet are so dry. She needs to take a bath and I'm at a loss for ideas.

Any suggestions?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's the diet like? Bathing usually doesn't affect the feet dryness, and can affect smell. Have you tried different sizes of bowls and temps of water? Or vacuuming nearby?

I have one Quaker that will only bathe in large shallow bowls or the sink, in cold water, while the other wants to cram himself into a 10oz bowl with warm water.

As for misting, is it being done above the bird to fall like rain?

If she REALLY does need a bath, small carrier and gentle mist. She won't like it but sometimes we have to be the bad guys.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
@Mizzely Yes, ourselves and the previous owners have bought / offered multiple bowls/depths; I've tried trickling water nearby. What does the vacuum do? :o:

I've tried to mist her with water like rain as well, and boy did I get the stink eye. xD

**Her diet is Harrisons High Potency Coarse.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For some birds (my macaw esp) the thought is vacuum simulates thunder and sometimes encourages a bath! It's weird but worth a try :lol:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
For some birds (my macaw esp) the thought is vacuum simulates thunder and sometimes encourages a bath! It's weird but worth a try :lol:
I'll have to try it. :p At this point, anything that gets her to bath. But I'm also very concerned about her dry feet. D:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek was on a horrible diet when I got her and smelled like really salty marinara sauce. It was awful. Once I got her eating better , the smell molted out. That's why I was curious about the diet.

You can try to moisturize her feet with coconut oil in the meantime.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
My green cheek was on a horrible diet when I got her and smelled like really salty marinara sauce. It was awful. Once I got her eating better , the smell molted out. That's why I was curious about the diet.

You can try to moisturize her feet with coconut oil in the meantime.
That's what I planned on doing, but wanted to see some advice before I jumped the gun. :p

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sometimes Valentine will go for a few days before she takes a bath, however, she knows the meaning of the word baffie, (I taught her that since she was a baby.) She responds and immediately when I tell her she has to take a baffie cause she stinks she goes to her bowl to bathe. Could or does she have a trigger word for a bath, could you teach her one??

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Sometimes Valentine will go for a few days before she takes a bath, however, she knows the meaning of the word baffie, (I taught her that since she was a baby.) She responds and immediately when I tell her she has to take a baffie cause she stinks she goes to her bowl to bathe. Could or does she have a trigger word for a bath, could you teach her one??
I could try, but the problem isn't how often she takes the bath, rather that she just won't - at all - ever. I have a caique I raised from just a baby and she's glorious at bathes; but that's because I didn't hesitate to introduce her to all sorts of wonderful things as a baby. I don't want to terrify the poor bird as it only recently came into my care. :p

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How long have you had her?

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
How long have you had her?
4 weeks / 1 month about. :) Previous owners had her for 'X' amount of years since I find their stories as to how they got her to be .. ever changing and odd.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That is not a long time at all. Her world has been turned upside down, go at her pace till she is comfortable with you. You have to start from scratch, its going to take time and patience

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
That is not a long time at all. Her world has been turned upside down, go at her pace till she is comfortable with you. You have to start from scratch, its going to take time and patience
I'm very aware of the change, and I'm mostly referring to how her previous owners tried all these things as well. I've rescued/fostered many a bird so I know how stressful of a change it can be and I do not expect any instant changes. I just want to know any suggestions for a birdie who has never had an interest in bathing. She'll be going to vet soon anyways, so I'll be asking for some suggestions from there as well.

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Lily smelled like a musty closet when I brought her home, it took her over a month to bathe and for her honey-musk to come through :( Her feet are also dry, but don't seem to bother her.

I then discovered she LOVES being misted.

Vacuuming is like the almighty signal to parrots that it's time to shower haha!! If I need to do a deep clean and Seth (bluecrown conure) hasn't bathed yet, I'll vacuum, he'll go insane in his bowl, and then I clean!

Give her time! Some Pi's are sensitive and take their sweet time in adjusting :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I fill up a spray bottle, open the nozzle all the way and squirt water into Joey’s water bowl. The noise and splashing water gets him to take a bath.
Good luck!
:)