• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Parrot colours display best in Sunlight..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sachi is gorgeous! Pionus have such beautiful hidden colors!:heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Crystal and Judy!:) Pionus parrots are so underrated. I think it has alot to do with the fact that most people are looking for that immediate flash appeal gratification.

Crystal, how's Big Angel about consuming foods rich in Vit A? It's a must for pionus parrots especially.:)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Crystal and Judy!:) Pionus parrots are so underrated. I think it has alot to do with the fact that most people are looking for that immediate flash appeal gratification.

Crystal, how's Big Angel about consuming foods rich in Vit A? It's a must for pionus parrots especially.:)
Unfortunately she is a picky eater. She will eat carrots and sweet potatoes sometimes. She even snubs her beak at certain AO mashes where L. Angel and Sampson will eat all AO stuff! She is definitely my worst eater.

What other foods would you suggest with Vitamin A?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try red palm oil! It is a super concentrated source and Olive doesn't mind if I mix it into her chop or on her birdie bread. She's picky too.

Sachi is so beautiful! It's amazing how their colors come alive in the sunlight.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sachi is beautiful!

Matt

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Matt and Ellen! Crystal` sweet potato and carrots are great! Squash is a big one too. Mango, papaya, pumpkin, kale, mango, papaya.:) Offer alot of vegetables that are deep green or rich yellow too.

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
Sachi is gorgeous...I just love her name, it suits her very well!! Pionus parrots are wonderful, I just have a bit of an issue with their intense smell :o:

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
OOOOooo, I kinda like the sweet smell of them...:)
but maybe that's just me...Pica smells pretty sweet when I walk by the cage in the morning

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Sweet sparkle Sachi girlie!!! :heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:heart:Sachi is gorgeous!! I especially love the pics of her you had posted last year- swimming.Such iridescent jewel colors!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Beautiful!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
She has the most beautiful feminine face :heart: And her colors sparkle in the sun! :heart:

seashell

Strolling the yard
I think Pionus are the most beautiful parrots. Their colouring is so subtle and wonderful. She is gorgeous!

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
I love pionus parrots. A lot of people seem to overlook them, but they make such wonderful pets and have such beautiful feathers. I guess it's because they aren't "in your face" like some of the more brightly colored species, and people only devote a handful of seconds for a first impression (for people and otherwise), so their beauty kind of escapes a lot of people. You have to get up close to them and then you see all the intricate patterns and coloring suffusing their bodies, and when you get them into sunlight (or good full spectrum lighting), they are living rainbows. It might also be because a pi's personality doesn't usually come out until they get to know you. They're quiet and reserved at first, but once they get to know you, their true personalities just blossom and explode out of them. Pis, to me, seem like the felines of the parrot world (and after having read a bunch of other threads on Pi behavior, I think that's a fairly apt descriptor). Alita has tons of personality and is such a sweet and lovely parrot, and she loves to ham it up for people she's familiar with...but had I just been a passing stranger giving her a look over at a pet shop or something, I wouldn't have seen that. I'd have just seen a quiet parrot that didn't seem to do much and didn't seem to want to interact with me. And I would have been wrong, I would have walked on by, and I would have missed out on a wonderful, beautiful parrot.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sachi is gorgeous...I just love her name, it suits her very well!! Pionus parrots are wonderful, I just have a bit of an issue with their intense smell :o:
Thanks everyone! :hug8:

Thanks Iskra! I remember feeling that I might have a long term issue with Sachi's fragrance too.:o: It's very different than anything I had ever smelled before. Somehow it grew on me and now I intentionally bring my nose to her head so I can smell her.:heart: It's actually quite lovely. I don't know whether the other pionus species smell the same. :huh:Maybe diet has an impact as well?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.