• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Breeder

Birdsonbrain

Moving in
Does anyone know of a good and reputable breeder for Pionus? We live in New Mexico. I'm beginning a search for a handfed weaned baby or maybe an older bird. I have done some Internet searching, but to no avail.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I live in southern NM. Haven't heard of one. There is supposed to be an informal rescue network in Alamogordo, but haven't contacted them. There is supposed to be an avian vet there who is works with them. Wish I had more specifics, my friend mentioned them way back when I told her I was looking for a parrot.

Good luck.

Birdsonbrain

Moving in
Thanks, Distaff. I kind of feel like NM is an island sometimes. It's hard to find things here! Anyway, I am open to shipping under the right circumstances or driving, too.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
As someone who just moved from NY to NM I can say I totally understand the "island" feel. We recently had to look for a decent avian vet but down here there seem to be none. :( Are you interested at all in any other species? We recently adopted a Senegal from the rescue up in Rio Rancho. Last time we were there they did not have any pionus parrots but if you're open to other species you could look into adoption.

If you are willing to ship I'd recommend birdbreeders.com. You'll fine a nice collection of breeders around the country that you can then compare.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know of one here in Florida. Let me see if I can find them. There are 3 or 4 Pi's in my local rescue, too. They've now said they won't adopt out of the state but I bet you could convince them.

Birdsonbrain

Moving in
Thanks, Calpurnia and finchly! Calpurnia, do you know the name of the rescue in Rio Rancho by chance? I am not aware of it; I've had my head in the dog rescue world for quite awhile, but lost touch with birds for the most part.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Glad to help! Anna (the rescue owner) is REALLY great about matching people with birds that are a good fit, so if you are open to other species I really don't think you can go wrong there.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I can't find pionus in NV. either.
The only way to get them is have them shipped in if it is legal in your state.