• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus at Petco

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Were you thinking of getting him? Was he totally inactive? How long did you watch him? Not sure I've seen a bird sleep with his head back like that but maybe babies do that?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And did you tell them that you think he/she was sick?

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Were is this? Wish I could get that bird.
Our Petco & Petsmarts only carry parakeets, lovebirds & once in a while 1 conure. They don't even have cockatiels anymore.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats a white cap & cute. Unusual for those box stores.

Birds can sleep odd but never saw that. Did have one that slept with its body & head down below the perch & Rio used to sleep hanging on the side of the bars before I got his platform.

hope its OK. They can take naps during the day but if its sleeping to much there could be a problem.

FlyMeToTheMoon

Meeting neighbors
Were you thinking of getting him? Was he totally inactive? How long did you watch him? Not sure I've seen a bird sleep with his head back like that but maybe babies do that?
I was not going to get him, I just enjoy interacting with the birds every once in a while. He was completely inactive. They said he sleeps all day because he's young but that just seems sketchy to me! Baby birds love to play, and if they don't love to play they are at least AWAKE. He was also shivering pretty heavily and his breathing was labored.

And did you tell them that you think he/she was sick?
I did, but naturally they brushed me off. Very typical of Petco imo.

Were is this? Wish I could get that bird.
Our Petco & Petsmarts only carry parakeets, lovebirds & once in a while 1 conure. They don't even have cockatiels anymore.
I am not 100% sure if it was the Petco in Beaumont or Nederland (TX) but it was one of those. They had a variety of birds... turquoise GCC, cockatiels, brown throated conures, caiques.

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I got a wcp when he was 4 months....active, active, active. Hanging upside down an swinging. I have never seen a bird sleep like that. Poor guy, I hope they do wellness checks

FlyMeToTheMoon

Meeting neighbors
I got a wcp when he was 4 months....active, active, active. Hanging upside down an swinging. I have never seen a bird sleep like that. Poor guy, I hope they do wellness checks
I hope so too. I'm going to continually check up on him and update this thread if there is any news.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please talk to a manager or call the ASPCA.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! The poor bird :(

I hope he survives his rough start in life :(