• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pin Feather Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Andrea - you should have seen me trying to hold him and his feathers with one hand and take the picture with the other :p

Gary that definitely looks more like it!

Sharpie you may be exactly right.

To everyone who said preen gland in the beginning and I stubbornly argued, I apologize. I never would have thought there would be feathers growing out of it! This is my learn something new for the day lesson. Thank you all for your help.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
We have seen this problem in our lovies (2 feathers in one follicle) in the past when they molted. If a feather got broken in that follicle, another one tried to grow in even though the other sheath was still there. In the end, our vet removed them so that one could grow back in it's place. It seemed to bother our birds when it happened. Mainly it happened to BeBe. He was notorious for breaking wing feathers when he was a young fella.

I'm glad you figured it out with the preening gland though!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Here is what a feather cyst would look like... Most times these are located on the topside of the wings.

Attachments

vancha

Sprinting down the street
You can even tell that the feathers on the preen gland look sort of oily. My goose's preening gland looks exactly like that, just to back up what everyone has been saying. :)

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
To everyone who said preen gland in the beginning and I stubbornly argued, I apologize. I never would have thought there would be feathers growing out of it! This is my learn something new for the day lesson. Thank you all for your help.
No need to apologize for needing to make sure! I was worried why my bird was going grey when I first saw Honu's :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.