• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pin Feather Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I am sorry these are not very good pictures (he was such a sport about it!). But E has this on the base right before his tail. Best way to describe it is a lump of skin with two keratin sheaths inside it, the lump of skin can be lifted up. Anyone seen anything like this before? Ingrown feather?

Attachments

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
feather cyst?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
From the location your describing it may be the preen (Uropygial) gland. You can see the location on the young birds rump below.

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kathy does it seem like two feathers are growing in, in the same follicle?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, is the spot in question in the center of the bird or off to one side. Are the sheaths empty?

gary

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Almost looks like a preening gland to me.

Kathy

First thing I thought of was preening gland.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
It really does not look like a cyst as it can be lifted up and it does not look like a preening gland (unless the feathers grew through the preening gland?).

Gary it is in the middle right at the base before the tail feathers, the white tufts you see in the pictures are what is growing out of the top of the skin sheath. Both sheaths have feathers growing out of them. The last picture which shows the tail feathers give the best idea of where it is at.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
It may be the new feather is pushing the old sheath out that was broken off. It looks like the feather is developing and the skin around it is moving with it and has not pulled back. Does your bird have another developing feather to compare with?

gary

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Tons! He is going thorough a major molt right now. There is no discharge and the skin is taught, not like it is full of any sort of liquid. It just seems to be a tube of skin wrapped around the sheaths.

I'm sorry Pat I missed your question. The piece of skin that surrounds the sheaths seems awfully big to be one follicle but I cannot tell if there is skin between the two sheaths or not.

Should I do anything? Or since its not infected and the feathers are coming out just give it time? Will the keratin reabsorb if the skin does not pull down?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I don't see a problem. Keep an eye on the feather for piece of mind and future reference.

gary

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
If I'm oriented correctly when looking at the pics, it looks exactly like my Hahn's preen gland. He has what looks like feather growing out of it as well, and I didn't know when I first got him so I asked my vet when he went in for his checkup and he said he had a perfectly normal gland there.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
That very well could be it Andrea, I have never noticed it before I guess. I know one thing whatever it is it looks awfully weird!

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I don't know Gary, it really looks nothing like that on E since there are feathers growing out of whatever it is and you can actually lift the skin part up straight so its only attached at the base.:confused: Maybe its a Macaw thing lol, since Andrea's is also.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I wish I could get a picture of Honu's fo comparison, but there's no way that butthead is going to let me....

I can't get a close skin look at his right now, but I can identify it right away because as I move the green feathers away from the base of his tail there's a small tuft of pure white over it.

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I know some species of birds have what's called a 'wick' feather that grows out of the center of the preen gland. That would be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.