• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pin Feather Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladysmith

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Donna
I am new on this site so forgive my interruption... Perhaps you could assist me while I waite for a vet app't in the next few days. My 14 yrs old Coc. has a very weird what I think is a Pin feather but it is grey about a sixteenth of an in. in diam. and about 2" long. It looks like a little stump. His wing is very sore and he isn't eating well or acting very pleasant with anyone. Before it was there I noticed a big hole where I thought he had lost a wing feather. I allow him to be free in the house as he "goes" in the same place.
Any ideas what it might be? That is before I go broke from this famous vet I have to take him to in another town ... I live in a small community.
Thanks...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hello Donna. I hope you don't mind, I gave your post it's own thread so you can get individual attention. What you are describing may be more than one pin feather growing in the same follicle or ingrown feathers that are growing under the skin. Vet intervention is important and I'm glad you are taking him. His behavior is indicating he is in pain and uncomfortable. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

It is important he stays hydrated so make sure he is drinking. :hug8:

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue Donna! Marie gave great advice. I hope you can get him into the vet ASAP. Please keep us updated.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it does sound like ingrown feathers..it happens....your bird needs vet attention, the sooner the better...please make sure he stays hydrated and warm in the meantime...it sounds like it has become infected.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Welcome to the Avenue. I agree with everyone else. Please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.