1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pigeons transmitting diseases to parrots?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Charlie D., 1/17/19.

1. Charlie D.

Charlie D. Moving in

Charles
    so, a little background;
    i have 2 parrots, both less than a year old. one is a gray male cockatiel, the other is a pineapple female conure. they are housed in separate cages and all interactions are supervised.

i am interested in getting a pigeon for my birthday- hopefully, one from a breeder. i would keep it in a large/medium dog crate with various accommodations for it (platforms, toys, etc). it would receive proper veterinary care from an avian vet, be tested for any illnesses and treated/quarantined if it had any.

the issue: the people working at my local bird specialty store say that i can’t have a pigeon and parrots, because the pigeon will carry diseases that could kill my birds.

the question: is this true? i’ve never heard this before from anyone.

i’ll be asking my pigeon keeping friends too, but i thought it would be good to ask here.

EDIT: both of my birds have been tested and are perfectly healthy.

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
  3. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara
    I would have thought wild pigeon carry diseases but pet pigeons would be clean .. Interesting question, I'm sorry I don't know the answer.

There's a park near me, it's called Parque La Paloma. And I swear, I have seen people taking their pets in cages for days out in the park. Lovies, tiels, other small parrots, bunnies hedgehogs n more.
    This park has wild ducks, swans, peacocks, chickens, rabbits, Guinea pigs, quaker parrots and lots of pigeons all living there.
    Maybe they're not thinking of the higiene factor :(
    Hope you find the answer RE a pet pigeon and I hope you're able to get one :)

4. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Pidgies can carry herpavirus, candida, lice, mites,,if pidgie is tested and cleared of all these..then your ok.

sunnysmom likes this.
  5. Charlie D.

Charlie D. Moving in

Charles
    That's how I thought it would work.. When I go back for a new shower perch for my birds, I'll bring it up.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)