• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pigeon care!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you:heart:

They are, aren't they! I think ringneck doves are also my favourite!
Yes they are so cute! Diamond doves are my favorite, they got me interested in birds altogether!

Oh sorry,,,forgot about lice,,,you will see them..they look like little pieces of rice,,look under the wings, and around the vent..softly blow on the feathers,,if they're there, you'll see them. I use " sevin dust"..available at home depot..lightly sprinkle the bird and fluff into the feathers, after an hour or so, bathe and dry birdie...no more lice,,,if he has them..but dosent look like he does..
Thanks! I Will check right now, the day has just started here:D

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Oh bless him, what a little cutie! those fluffy feet :heart:

I think you'll definitely have a hard time of letting him go if you do decide to rehome him aw

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have a little dilemma! Right now he is in the shed, it is not warm there, but not as cold as outside. It is made of brick and isolated a bit but not heated and no Windows. My brother and sister never switch off the light, but now they do when I leave it on, even when I asked them not to. So he is in the dark a lot, when I get home I make sure the light is on, and try to be with him and of course feed and water him and clean there. But I can't spend several hours there every day sadly. So now here is the choice I have:
-leave him there

-put him in the aviary of the ducks(and Rabbits), but there is no night area for him right now so at night he can't really take shelter(the night area only has a door near the ground)

-take him inside, he would have to Come to my room, we have two cats and I have a half sister who would probably bother him is his cage would be downstairs. But if I bring him in, he can't go back outside untill summer. I am still not sure about keeping him, and if I do wether his Main living area Will be inside or outside.

I am really torn because I want what is best for him, and because I don't know if he Will stay permenantly(he could to my grandparents, but they are renovating the really big aviary), I can't get him a buddy.

What would you guys do?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Cheap rabbit hutch perhaps converted for pigeon shelter to keep warm.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What would you guys do?
-put him in the aviary of the ducks(and Rabbits), but there is no night area for him right now so at night he can't really take shelter(the night area only has a door near the ground)
How big is this aviary?
And let say that it's big enough can't you build/make him a night area?
-leave him there
This should be the last option, he needs light and company.
I can't get him a buddy.
Why?
Perhaps letting him go to one that already have doves would be the best for him?
I'm also wondering if he is a tame dove or not?
If he can fly and are wild perhaps letting him out again can also be a good thing to do.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How big is this aviary?
And let say that it's big enough can't you build/make him a night area?

This should be the last option, he needs light and company.

Why?
Perhaps letting him go to one that already have doves would be the best for him?
I'm also wondering if he is a tame dove or not?
If he can fly and are wild perhaps letting him out again can also be a good thing to do.
Thank you!
All are temporary solutions. He can't get a buddy right now because it is becoming more and more likely that he Will move to my grandparents, their aviary is at least 10x10 meter, with a 5x8 meter inside area and they have a few other doves and chickens in there. But they are renovating the aviary, it shouldn't take long for it to complete now, I think two weeks.
He is a 'domesticated' dove, not a wild one and semi tame. He does not want to be on me but does enjoy my company. I feel so bad that he is in the shed right now
The duck outside aviary is 6x1,5 meters, I could build him a night area but I thought it would have to be isolated? The nigt area would be wood, I don't have isolation material on hand. But if that is fine he Will move to the aviary today!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I just left for school, he was eating cauliflower leaves when I left. I have put a lamp near his cage, so should someone turn off the lights again at least he has another light source.
I asked my father(parents are devorced) wether he could build an isolated night area for him and he said it wouldn't be a problem! So that is Great, though it might still take a few days for him to build it and take it to my town. I Will call my grandparents when I am home about when the aviary Will be done do he can move in with his new friends

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
All are temporary solutions. He can't get a buddy right now because it is becoming more and more likely that he Will move to my grandparents, their aviary is at least 10x10 meter, with a 5x8 meter inside area and they have a few other doves and chickens in there. But they are renovating the aviary, it shouldn't take long for it to complete now, I think two weeks.
That sounds awesome, and two weeks isn't that long, he will survive. :)
And you will later have a chance to see him and visit him.
And if he is leaving soon, I would have kept him where he are. Don't add stress to him if that is not necessary.
But perhaps take him outside in a smaller carrier so he gets some sun light if you think that it is easy to do that.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for all your advice! It is still a bit unclear when their aviary will be ready, I hope soon though. I moved him to the aviary three days ago, and he is doing so well. He was a bit uncertain but adapted so well. He is still not completely adapted of course, but he enjoys watching the rabbits play and watches intently when I play with the ducks. Yesterday morning I thought he was gone as he made himself a new sleeping spot on a high beam. That is his new favorite spot:D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We have a pigeon/dove. When we took in Cisco BFA and his grey friend, there was a dove there and a B&G. The woman kept them both but called us a few weeks later and asked us if we wanted the B&G. I couldn't say no, so we went back to get the B&G. The dove was still there and Jon made me take the dove too. Truthfully, there was no way I would have left the dove either but Jon is in love with her, so we kept her. Her name is Snowy and she's very sweet. We give her a mixed wild bird seed mix and she lives in a bird cage with lots of Boodah Perches. She coos a lot and is very calming.

IMG_0732.JPG

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Omg her face:faint: She even has a little crest, it is so adorable! It is wonderful that you tool that B&G in together with her:heart: Does she like your other parrots?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Omg her face:faint: She even has a little crest, it is so adorable! It is wonderful that you tool that B&G in together with her:heart: Does she like your other parrots?
We didn't keep the B&G, my house is way too full of dusty birds and I don't think I could handle the needs of a Macaw anyway! She went to a friend's rescue who used to be a member here. It was the best we could do on such short notice but I couldn't leave her there, I just couldn't. Snowy is adorable. When you take her out, she stomps her feet on you to get your attention! They really do make great pets!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@jmfleish ,,she has a crest similar to Snowpea! And her name,,,Snowy....love it! Those feathered feet need kisses,,,lots of kisses..:xflove:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
We didn't keep the B&G, my house is way too full of dusty birds and I don't think I could handle the needs of a Macaw anyway! She went to a friend's rescue who used to be a member here. It was the best we could do on such short notice but I couldn't leave her there, I just couldn't. Snowy is adorable. When you take her out, she stomps her feet on you to get your attention! They really do make great pets!
I was already so shocked that you were able to just take in the macaw:rofl: It was so sweet of you to take her to a rescue:heart:

@jmfleish ,,she has a crest similar to Snowpea! And her name,,,Snowy....love it! Those feathered feet need kisses,,,lots of kisses..:xflove:
I agree:rolleyes::heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So! This morning one of our workers on the house who does not speak English saw me feeding baby Faith. He held out his hand and took her. Pronounced her "beautiful." Then pulled out his phone -- and showed me a baby pigeon he is hand feeding! It was light brown, purple, blue... very soft colors. We gestured and pointed enough to have a conversation. Apparently he raises pigeons.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Really! I'm going to have to get a pigeon??

@TikiMyn Oh come on. The moment you named him, he was yours. :rofl:

:hug8:
Maybe:rofl::rofl: My grandfather already assumed he is staying, he was like o I know those, my father kept those, yeah they eat grain. He always thinks he knows everything:lol:Though I have named most bird's that had to stay over at my house. The last one was Jack Sparrow the jackdaw, I found him when I got home in the evening and took him to the rescue the next day:D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So! This morning one of our workers on the house who does not speak English saw me feeding baby Faith. He held out his hand and took her. Pronounced her "beautiful." Then pulled out his phone -- and showed me a baby pigeon he is hand feeding! It was light brown, purple, blue... very soft colors. We gestured and pointed enough to have a conversation. Apparently he raises pigeons.
Ooo that is so adorable!:heart: I love it how the two of you communicated about birds without speaking the same language:DWith pigeons you have to push the food a bit into their mouth, that feels quite weird:rofl: