• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pigeon care!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi guys,

Yesterday there was a pigeon, who was quite tame, in front of my house. I took him inside in the evening as he couldn't fly really well and he isn't a wild pigeon.

I wanted to take him to the bird rescue tomorrow evening. I have him in a parrot cage in the shed right now. He is doing really well, his droppings are normal and he can fly a lot better then when I took him in yesterday. He is eating well too.
So now I have started to doubt wether or not I should take him to the rescue. Maybe it is better to let a vet give him a check-up and find him a good home.
At the rescue they adopt pigeons out, but they have a lot of them so they don't have a lot of requirements. I want to make sure he gets a really good home with a friend where he can take sand baths and such, so I think I Will try to find him a home myself.

But.. Well that is probably going to take Some time, so he Will have to stay here for a bit. So I would like to hear what you guys know about pigeon care. What do you feed them? What kind of cages do you use? Would it be possible to have him around my ducks(I could give him fly time in their aviary outside, but is it possible for them to get sick because he is there?)?
I Will do my own research as well of course, but I really value the Opninion of the people here!

Also, I don't want to admit it, but I have been thinking about rescueing another pigeon and give him a good life myself, but that would be my last resort, but I Will do a lot of research just in case!

So, here is the little fellow, his name is Fidged: image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Pigeons have fluffy feet? Our pigeons don't have fluffy feet. :(

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:hehe:Cute isn't it? He is Some sort of 'domesticated' uhm breed I guess, like with Dogs, they are all different but the same species. I yet have to figure out his breed:D Also he has a lot of pin Feathers on his feet, so they Will become even more fluffy!

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
If you do decide to keep him he will be a walking/flying feather duster (Getting to all the places you can't reach) :hehe::dance4:!

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
Wow, I didn’t know pigeons could look so adorable :wideyed::heart: I’m glad you took him in.
I can’t help you with the care about them though.. i have no experience :banghead:
If you know/think it is not wild, maybe try searching for the owner? He/she might be worried.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's special...not a normal wild pidge. Please don't take him to the wildlife rescue...he should be fine eating wild bird mix or cockatiel mix . Im sure he would be ok with the ducks as long as they don t beat him up.. pigeons make nice pets...they're very personable and funny. Thank you for helping him.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If you do decide to keep him he will be a walking/flying feather duster (Getting to all the places you can't reach) :hehe::dance4:!
Hehe I am still doubting wether I should keep him or not! And if I do, should I let him inside:D I have read a bit about them as inside pets as well and he is soo sweet! I could also let him be outside with the ducks and Maybe even harness train him... I saw some people who did that! Though I have to think really hard about it, if I have to rehome him and his friend in a few years that would do him no good.

Wow, I didn’t know pigeons could look so adorable :wideyed::heart: I’m glad you took him in.
I can’t help you with the care about them though.. i have no experience :banghead:
If you know/think it is not wild, maybe try searching for the owner? He/she might be worried.
He is not ringed so it is very hard to find his previous caretaker, I have searched on websites and advertisements for missing pets/animals but haven't found anything. The owners of the captive pigeons at the bird rescue often don't want there birds back yet:)

He's special...not a normal wild pidge. Please don't take him to the wildlife rescue...he should be fine eating wild bird mix or cockatiel mix . Im sure he would be ok with the ducks as long as they don t beat him up.. pigeons make nice pets...they're very personable and funny. Thank you for helping him.
Okay thank you! He is currently on birds seeds and Some soaked cat food(just to make sure he was getting Some water). Also he seemed interested in a piece of broccoli and I don't know if he flung it away or ate it, but it is gone:D I won't take him to the rescue, I Will start to (long) journey of finding him a home that meets my requirements:lol:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I would quarantine him first though, before introducing him to the ducks as he might be carrying lice or worms. You could deworm and delice (made up a word?) him first just to be sure.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would quarantine him first though, before introducing him to the ducks as he might be carrying lice or worms. You could deworm and delice (made up a word?) him first just to be sure.
Yeah that was what I was wondering about! Thank you! He hasn't had any contact with any of the other Pets, and I shower before going into the bird room, and wash my hands really well before handling the ducks. I Will look around in the per stores tomorrow to see if I can find a delice/deworm cure for him:)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I know people use vermx (herbal) but don't know if it's safe for pigeons. I'd imagine it would be though considering it's just natural.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Haven't heard of that before, thanks! Will look into it right away:rolleyes:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He reminds me of this
which is coming up on Google as Pomeranian pouter pigeons. The colouring is like the normal park/rock pigeons but they don't have feathered feet.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Keep him! Pigeons are great pets. Much much better then parrots. ( I hate to admit it..)
I give my outside doves this seed mix.
And they are also getting sprouts of green lentils, green peas, yellow peas and mung beans and this dove seed mix with corn.

Harleyandme

Fidget looks so stunning. I love pigeons so much! I know a lot of people call them "the rats of the sky", but I think they're pretty cute. My favourite kind of pigeon is our native pigeon, the Kereru :)

Harleyandme

I would definitely consider keeping pigeons in an aviary. They are one of my birds I would like to keep as I get older along with ducks.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He reminds me of this
which is coming up on Google as Pomeranian pouter pigeons. The colouring is like the normal park/rock pigeons but they don't have feathered feet.
Thank you! That does look like him, Maybe he is a cross between to breeds or something:)

Keep him! Pigeons are great pets. Much much better then parrots. ( I hate to admit it..)
I give my outside doves this seed mix.
And they are also getting sprouts of green lentils, green peas, yellow peas and mung beans and this dove seed mix with corn.
Thanks a lot! The idea of keeping him is getting a hold of me:lol: I feed the fids sprouts too, Will give him a Some too tomorrow:D

Fidget looks so stunning. I love pigeons so much! I know a lot of people call them "the rats of the sky", but I think they're pretty cute. My favourite kind of pigeon is our native pigeon, the Kereru :)
I think they are pretty adorable too:D I just looked up the Kereru, and they are so beautiful! I like their little red beak:lol:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh sorry,,,forgot about lice,,,you will see them..they look like little pieces of rice,,look under the wings, and around the vent..softly blow on the feathers,,if they're there, you'll see them. I use " sevin dust"..available at home depot..lightly sprinkle the bird and fluff into the feathers, after an hour or so, bathe and dry birdie...no more lice,,,if he has them..but dosent look like he does..