• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pics of other Tortoises we have taken in this year.

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

Here are some pics of Tortoises, they are all Sulcata Tortoises ( African Spurred Tortoise) we have taken in this year. Thanks to Stacy, all found great homes. I would rather deal with rehabbing than screening homes. hahahaha.

Hope. Hope is a male...thought to be female. He was found wandering around the yard of a woman in an area by me. He had severe shell rot, calcium deficiency, and was severely dehydrated. The shell is severely pyramidded. Look at Gamera's shell, HE looked much better and was younger. I have an outdoor pen for them for the summer.

This is Gamera. He was also surrendered this year because his owner could not give him what he needed. He was very shy, and at 1 1/2 -2 years old was relatively healthy. He was properly cared for, thank goodness.

STACY post more pics of buddah if you get a chance. He was my favorite and was more like a dog than a tortoise.
He was surrendered ad lived in a dog crate with only infrared heat light , and on a diet of bologna and iceburg lettuce. He did much better after free grazing and outdoor sun light. He was very friendly..I cried when he left with Stacy :(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw they are all so cute

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I LOVE BUDDAH BUTT!!!!! So cute! I so miss him.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Aww they are soooo cute, I am not a reptile person but they are still cute :)

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
They are amazing! How wonderful that you've been able to help them.

I see tiny baby tortoises in the pet stores here all the time and they are just ridiculously cute, so naturally folks just keep on buying them. I'm not sure what type they are, I think the cage says 'hermans tortoise' ? But I wish folks would look into some of these reptiles before getting them, especially the ones that get so very huge...

I'm still trying to find a home for a huge iguana I took in to get out of a bad home and I've had her for like 5 years.

Will Hope be ok with his shell disfigured like that?

- Sarah

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
They are so beautiful! :)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
wow, they're gorgeous!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

They are amazing! How wonderful that you've been able to help them.

I see tiny baby tortoises in the pet stores here all the time and they are just ridiculously cute, so naturally folks just keep on buying them. I'm not sure what type they are, I think the cage says 'hermans tortoise' ? But I wish folks would look into some of these reptiles before getting them, especially the ones that get so very huge...

I'm still trying to find a home for a huge iguana I took in to get out of a bad home and I've had her for like 5 years.

Will Hope be ok with his shell disfigured like that?

- Sarah

It is possible hope will live a long ife. He was adopted by a Vet so who better to take him in right? hahaha.
We have taken in Iguanas in the past..Stacy just had 2 surrendered that were full grown.
They are not easy to place. Good luck to you.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Wow I'm surprised Buddha lived to tell the tale what with just eating bologna and lettuce!!
They are very nice looking and people just don't realize how big they get!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Awesome. Can they fly???? :D :hehe::hehe::hehe:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Really nice I love Turtles...& Tortoises too...nice pics !

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Thanks everyone. Its been a crazy year! hahahaha

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
They are magnificent! So, the top pics are not a healthy shell? It is amazing.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Right! The smallest Gamera was the youngest and was not neglected. He is what a normal growing sulcata should look like. Even buddah had some pyramidding but he was much younger than hope. I know confusing. Seeing them all side by side was really crazy.
Buddah came her at 10 lbs. Left at...I think 25 lbs. in a 3 month time frame.
Gamera came here at 3 lbs, and left at 8 lbs
Hope came in at 20 lbs and left around 35 lbs.

They need a high fiber diet. VERY HIGH FIBER! And..believe it or not..they eat the cuddle bones for calcium and will control theyre own intake.

They are amazing and very smart creatures. I never believed they could be as smart as they are. And...they are escape artists!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
bless your heart..they are beautiful!!

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I love tortoises. We're not allowed to have non Australian ones here as pets so I just drool over what you guys can get. My favourites would have to be the little leopard ones.

I guess the upside is with the rules and restriction here we have less 'exotic' species being handed in to rescues with problems like these guys have.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
Always wanted one of these as we r reptile people as well as horse people, bird people...We have geckos & a chameleon. We go to the reptile shows and they have hundreds of these guys for sale. Is it true they can get aggressive? Any recommendations of what to do/what not to do? I would much rather rescue one than get one from a show.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Awww, tortoises are awesome. What causes the pyramiding? Poor care, obviously, but what part of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.