• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky Eater City

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Just wanted to share the fun chop that I set up for my little monster. I've recently gave him a veggie mist that had corn, green beans, carrots, and peas. But... i noticed that all he seemed to eat out of it was the corn.

So I went to the store and got individual bags of veggies, and mixed them myself to try and encourage him to eat more green than... corn. I've just removed the corn all together and im only going to use it as a special treat.

Here's a picture of his yummy platter this morning!

He was not too pleased with the lack of corn, but I did add some yellow mangoes and peaches... still did not suffice.

Hopefully this little picky will start eating the greens.

(His base diet is pellets, and I've been tying to get more veggies in, but its hard with him being sooo stubborn on only wanting to eat the corn. Yes, we all love corn its sweet, fun to hear the pop sound when you chomp, but there are other yummy veggies out there too!)

Anywho just felt like sharing his yummt platter o' food! Lol.

Attachments

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Hope they enjoyed it! Any updates on if he liked it and is now eating other veggies?

Sweet potato is a favorite here and I know a lot of other birds love this food. You can also try very finely chopped or ‘riced’ broccoli. If you’re birds eat seeds often and enjoy them they may mistake the little bits of broccoli for seeds! This was how I got my guys to like vegetables, and since then they’ve totally been open to trying other foods. Now they enjoy spinach, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, and even boiled egg. Try different forms of the food - your birds may like it ‘riced’, diced, puréed, etc. Birds can be very picky with presentation. :)

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Hope they enjoyed it! Any updates on if he liked it and is now eating other veggies?
Oh yes! He likes the smaller pieces much more (very picky with how he wants them), and since I removed the corn, he has started really enjoying the peas (wish he would each more the of green beans, but it's a start. HAHA) and the lima beans.

He also seems to really enjoy blueberries, and mango. Getting there... i just want him to have healthy feathers again, they are stating to be a lot more green and shiney, so i think forcing all these fruits and veggies on him are working. HAHA.

(he of course always has his Zupreem pellets available at all times as well.)