• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Picky about perches

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
I just got a new cage for my new canary and came with these perches (see bellow) they are plastic and have no pointy edges, I just don't know though they look a little different to me... any way just need your device:joyful: to if these are ok

Attachments

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
hmn, I'm not so sure about those. It looks like it might be easy for a bird to get their head stuck or their toes pinched, depending on how soft the plastic is.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I think I've seen them without holes at petsmart, but yeah, I personally wouldn't trust the ones with the holes.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
i'm going on a birdy shopping spree tomorrow any way, at pet world in MA: Shelter - Pet World - Massachusetts Pet Store
they have over 100 toys LOL:lol:
Wow, that's pretty neat! My local shelters sell things, too, but I've never really seen bird stuff there. It's mostly things for dogs and cats. (and they're so far away, despite being 'local').

I hope you can find some better perches there!

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
ya this place is not just a pet store that just "throws" their pets into a cage and puts a for sale sign on it they are really good with all of their animals really if you look at the sight they have a lot of different animals:blkcat::aquarium::snake::spider::budgie8::ycanary:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I do not like plastic it's slick and just not as nice as natural woods. The BEST and most durable wood I love the most for perches is manzanita wood. It is very strong, has beautiful colors and is something that will last years. They are quirky and fun shapes and sizes with the natural branch. Excellent for their feet due to different thickness. It is washable!

If you haven't seen them, google them they are nice.

Mix it up, pedi perch, natural wood, maybe a bouncy boing.

Best of luck! :D

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
I do not like plastic it's slick and just not as nice as natural woods. The BEST and most durable wood I love the most for perches is manzanita wood. It is very strong, has beautiful colors and is something that will last years. They are quirky and fun shapes and sizes with the natural branch. Excellent for their feet due to different thickness. It is washable!

If you haven't seen them, google them they are nice.

Mix it up, pedi perch, natural wood, maybe a bouncy boing.

Best of luck! :D
ok I'll look for those at the pet store today, SHOPPING SPREE!!!!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Congrats on your new baby amd have fun shopping :) pet toy/supply shopping is just the funnest.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Toy and supply shopping is the BEST! Have fun! I agree with @Love My Zons , look for Some natural perches:)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
When I took in Wally 2 years ago, I really didn't know what would be safe and healthy for her. I'd go to the local chain pet stores and the selection was underwhelming. If you have time, I'd check out photos from other canaries and similar sized birds on this forum to get ideas before you go. I'm still getting good ideas from the people on AA! :swoon:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They look like the perches that come with those awful Vision cages. The perches are hard plastic so the tender feet of a Canary would be in jeopardy for pressure sores. When I purchased a Vision cage, not knowing how flimsy and hard to clean they were, I immediately trashed the perches. A bird should have natural wood or rope perches for comfort and health.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
you are correct, it is a vision cage!... wait you dont like the vision cages, its working just fine for me...?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
you are correct, it is a vision cage!... wait you dont like the vision cages, its working just fine for me...?
I don't think anyone is bashing the cage. I'm sure it's a popular cage in the market place.

There are cages better suited for birds with appropriate bar spacing and dimensions. Birds like to move around with length rather then height.

Flight cages are how they are listed by many manufacturers such as A&E.

A starter cage is fine. Eventually most upgrade unless you have large birds. Large birds require large cages.

If it works that's great. I'm sure one day you may think otherwise after adding toys and other perches.

:)