• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pickpocket hung herself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I had asked my vet about oxygen for Touche (who has seizures)- and how to obtain some. For example, could I get some for scuba diving (cannot- you have to have a license for that). Then I asked about O2 used for welding and she said never to use that as it sometimes contains "impurities" that could be harmful. (I second the post about the richness of the O2- especially for birds with such effienct lungs! Beware of overdoing the oxygen, they can get lightheaded sometimes from too much). I eventually got an oxygen concentrator from a medical surplus store that had been refurbished. I felt much safer with that. If you feel comfortable getting O2 meant for welding and using that on an injured bird, go for it. Personally, I would be too scared about the contents. (I know for some welding they mix in acetylene- and if someone mixed up what you got...). I would just prefer to use only "medical grade" O2. If its meant for a person, then it will be OK for my bird. Since welding O2 isn't meant for people...I guess if you had it you could try it first, and if you didn't pass out it would be ok (my logic). I'd go for something like this: Allied HPI Life-O-Gen Portable Emergency Oxygen 15 Min - eBay (item 270584704741 end time Sep-23-10 11:47:58 PDT)

I wanted to add that I'm really glad Pickpocket is doing ok- Zoey hung herself a few years ago (2 months after I brought her home) and it was just about the scariest day of my life! Hugs to both of you.

Last edited:

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
If the amount of oxygen in the welding oxygen canisters is more than in the medical, wouldn't that make it NOT safe?
That depends on the partial pressure of the oxygen inhaled. Oxygen toxicity results when the body receives too much oxygen- which depends on the pressure of the atmosphere.

Oxygen toxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A hyperbaric chamber/mask, with medical grade oxygen, helps a lot- if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it's a great way to cause barotrauma.

If you're worried about future treatment of an asphyxiated bird, why not take a moment to figure out if there's anything you can do to reduce the likelihood of asphyxiation in the first place? As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited:

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
I'm just now reading this thread.... what a tragedy! I am so, so sorry. I'll keep Pickpocket in my thoughts and prayers.
:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Hope pickpocket is still on the mend and doing well today. talk about a cat with nine lives! It is a miracle that the outlook is looking so rosy for pickpocket now, let us hope that is the one and only accident she has in her lifetime! She had them all in one go. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kelsey I will close this thread now that you have started a new one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.