• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pickpocket hung herself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Oh I am so glad to see this update! Continuing Healing thoughts coming your way! You've done good, Kelsey!
Hang in there Pickpocket! Your mommy and the vet are doing everything they can to make you feel better soon!
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
This is such wonderful news, and pickpocket is a little legend. Where there is life there is always hope and she has proved this.
Think oxygen has to be monitered and that is why you cannot find it readably availabe for anyone to buy.
It is dangerous and has to be handled carefully at all times.
Given at the wrong time and for too long can cause more damage like loss of sight, so needs to be monitored by someone who knows what they are doing.
The situation should not arise too often at having to have it available and if it was needed a Vet would sort it out for you. What happened to Pickpocket will surely not happen again for you. Once is enough!
Give her a kiss and scritches from me and tell her she is a little fighter and in my eyes a star.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Kelsey I am so glad to read this update! Continued prayers that Pickpocket will make a complete recovery. You did a wonderful job keeping him stable until he was seen by a vet. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm soo happy that little pickpocket is doing better.. Yay!! :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so glad to hear shes doing better.Big hugs to you both..:hug8::hug8:

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I am pleased to hear that Pickpocket is doing better. Big sigh of relief!

What was it that she got tangled up in?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
How is Pickpocket today please? Been thinking of you both and would so love to hear that the progress continues?:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Shelley, Pickpocket got tangled in a loose thread hanging from a curtain in the Budgie room. She must have tried to climb up the curtain and got tangled. She probably panicked and flew to the play stand where she got tangled even more and hung herself.

Ann, it is actually still the same day for us here in Australia! :) I took her to the vet this morning and she is now tucked in for the night. She is still perching though her breathing is heavier than normal. The vet said this is to be expected because she has gone through so much, physically and mentally, that it has absolutely exhausted her.

She ate a lot of seed today and her droppings look good. She has also started yelling again when I give her the pain meds. (Very normal for her to do! I think the fact that she didn't yell when I handled her to cut away the threads was one of the things that scared me the most!)

I don't think I'll ever be able to describe the feeling of seeing my baby hanging limply by a piece of thin thread. It's like your stomach has swallowed itself.

She's beaten the odds so far though! My baby's a strong little girl! :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear she had a good day Kelsey

sending continued prayers and healing energy for a rapid recovery

:hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hooray for the great news!!!

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Great News !! :hug8:

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
You can find "emergency oxygen" on ebay- it is a limited amount (only meant for one time use) for a decent price on ebay and other suppliers. DON'T use O2 meant for welding and such, it has other things mixed it and can kill a bird. It is not medical grade. I have (had) an O2 concentrator, which you can find refurbishd fairly cheaply (around $300 US) - I donated it though to a rescue I think that could use it more than me. You don't need an RX for those, or the emergency ones, but for the others you do.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So glad to hear the great update!!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so glad to hear she's doing better!!!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
What good news. So thankful Pickpocket is on the mend. Praying for her toe. Thanks so much for the update.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
whew! I was thinking of her today at work, glad to hear shes doing better.:hug8:

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
You can find "emergency oxygen" on ebay- it is a limited amount (only meant for one time use) for a decent price on ebay and other suppliers. DON'T use O2 meant for welding and such, it has other things mixed it and can kill a bird. It is not medical grade. I have (had) an O2 concentrator, which you can find refurbishd fairly cheaply (around $300 US) - I donated it though to a rescue I think that could use it more than me. You don't need an RX for those, or the emergency ones, but for the others you do.

Clarification on welding oxygen, it's safe: Quote from a trusted source. There are four kinds of oxygen that are merchandised or sold to users; Aviation, Medical, Welding and Research. There is a ongoing controversy if there is any difference between the different types. Oxygen gas is produced from the boiling off of liquid oxygen. It would appear that the oxygen is therefore the same. Where we obtain oxygen, all the different types of oxygen are supplied from the same manifold system. Then someone says that medical oxygen has more moisture in it. That is partly true. The oxygen going to a hospital bed is plain oxygen that comes from liquid oxygen. At the bed location, there is a unit on the wall that adds moisture. At this moment we now have medical oxygen. If the oxygen is in a pressure vessel or in a manifold system (like inside a hospital) then it is regular oxygen. The cost of medical or welding oxygen is normally much less than the oxygen you get at an airport.

Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing.

The bottom line about the different types of oxygen is in the insurance liability of the oxygen supplier. The gas is the same but the insurance liability is different.

Always check with your local avian vet or a trusted individual should you have an emergency where your bird needs oxygen, medication or other life saving support.

Last edited:

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
If the amount of oxygen in the welding oxygen canisters is more than in the medical, wouldn't that make it NOT safe?

Dangers of Pure Oxygen | Goomedic.com

I know that too much oxygen is dangerous. . . .

I'm glad Pickpocket is doing better! I'm hoping she makes a full and speedy recovery!

Tsk, edited post because the swear filter killed the first link.

Status
Not open for further replies.