• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pickpocket hung herself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Just read this...so sorry...prayers and hugs coming your way!

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all so much!!! :hug8:

I just came back from the vet and wanted to update you all before I go to work (thank goodness they were nice enough to give me the morning off).

The vet saw Pickpocket as soon as I got there.

Pickpocket has superficial cuts and bruising around her neck. It is painful but does not require stitches.

Her foot also has lots of cuts on it but 3 of her toes still have full function.

The fourth toe is dead at the second joint. It is not responding at all to being pinched. So we are going to wait a week so that her body can decide exactly where the toe is going to go dead. They don't want to amputate now because they might take off too little and then a week later realise they have to operate again to take off more. On the other hand they don't want to take off too much when Pickpocket doesn't need to lose her whole toe.

So now we wait and I will take her back next week unless she starts chewing her toe sooner.

She is on 0.02ml of Meloxicam twice a day for the next week to help with the pain. She needs lots of rest and be kept away from the other Budgies and in a quiet room.

Pickpocket is currently munching on some millet. Her droppings have vastly improved and they look normal now.

Thank you all so much for all the advice! I'm sorry I didn't follow the advice about taking her to the E-vet for oxygen. I was really, really, really scared to move her or put her through any more stress. While I was cutting away the threads I thought numerous times that she had died in my hands.

It was horrifying. She was so limp.

I've had three other birds go into shock before and the only one that passed away was my little Plum-headed. It happened on the way to the E-vet and they told me her heart gave in from all the stress of handling and transport. The others survived and I believe it is because I followed the E-vet's advice of putting them on heat and leaving them in a very dark and quiet room. No disturbances.

I would like to know if it would be possible for me to buy oxygen and equipment so that I can keep it at home?

I did give the E-vet a call as soon as I had finished cutting Pickpocket loose. They were the ones that told me they could only give Pickpocket heat and pain meds until I could get her to my regular vet.

We're not out of the woods yet, but at least things are looking better than last night. Pickpocket is perching now.

Thank you all so much. I'm forever thankful for all the good thoughts and prayers you all said for Pickpocket. It worked.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
this is great news Kelsey - I have been concerned about both of you today :hug2:

keep us updated her her progress

as to the oxygen - the rules/laws may be different where you are

have you checked with the vet to see about getting home oxygen for emergencies?

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I'm so happy to hear she's going to be ok!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Thank you all so much!!! :hug8:

I just came back from the vet and wanted to update you all before I go to work (thank goodness they were nice enough to give me the morning off).

The vet saw Pickpocket as soon as I got there.

Pickpocket has superficial cuts and bruising around her neck. It is painful but does not require stitches.

Her foot also has lots of cuts on it but 3 of her toes still have full function.

The fourth toe is dead at the second joint. It is not responding at all to being pinched. So we are going to wait a week so that her body can decide exactly where the toe is going to go dead. They don't want to amputate now because they might take off too little and then a week later realise they have to operate again to take off more. On the other hand they don't want to take off too much when Pickpocket doesn't need to lose her whole toe.

So now we wait and I will take her back next week unless she starts chewing her toe sooner.

She is on 0.02ml of Meloxicam twice a day for the next week to help with the pain. She needs lots of rest and be kept away from the other Budgies and in a quiet room.

Pickpocket is currently munching on some millet. Her droppings have vastly improved and they look normal now.

Thank you all so much for all the advice! I'm sorry I didn't follow the advice about taking her to the E-vet for oxygen. I was really, really, really scared to move her or put her through any more stress. While I was cutting away the threads I thought numerous times that she had died in my hands.

It was horrifying. She was so limp.

I've had three other birds go into shock before and the only one that passed away was my little Plum-headed. It happened on the way to the E-vet and they told me her heart gave in from all the stress of handling and transport. The others survived and I believe it is because I followed the E-vet's advice of putting them on heat and leaving them in a very dark and quiet room. No disturbances.

I would like to know if it would be possible for me to buy oxygen and equipment so that I can keep it at home?

I did give the E-vet a call as soon as I had finished cutting Pickpocket loose. They were the ones that told me they could only give Pickpocket heat and pain meds until I could get her to my regular vet.

We're not out of the woods yet, but at least things are looking better than last night. Pickpocket is perching now.

Thank you all so much. I'm forever thankful for all the good thoughts and prayers you all said for Pickpocket. It worked.
I was trying to find information on buying Oxygen/supples for this very reason....we all need to have this in our First Aid...and I can't find information on how to acquire!
If ANYONE knows and can give good information on this ....PLEASE start a thread on where/how/etc....I truely believe it could help us all!
I totally understand why you didn't move her....I just figure she would have a better chance of survival to have oxygen....YOU DID GOOD!:hug8::heart:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Kelsey, I'm letting out a huge sigh of relief for you and little Pickpocket (love the name, btw). I think your strategy to keep her warm and quiet overnight was a good one and obviously a success.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
YAY Pickpocket.... now you hang in there baby and keep up the good work!!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was trying to find information on buying Oxygen/supples for this very reason....we all need to have this in our First Aid...and I can't find information on how to acquire!
If ANYONE knows and can give good information on this ....PLEASE start a thread on where/how/etc....I truely believe it could help us all!
I totally understand why you didn't move her....I just figure she would have a better chance of survival to have oxygen....YOU DID GOOD!:hug8::heart:
We have oxygen in our home..... Our dog Vet had given us an RX for it for our old Boxer with Cardiomyopathy and we got it from a DME (Durable Medical Equipment Company) There are also oxygen concentrators, which are for sale in our local classified sometimes..... they can be pricey, but worth it. I have 3 oxygen concentrators that I use for lampworking also, bought them off the classifieds.......
also my husband welds and has HUGE oxygen tanks for this)... this is probably not medical grade, but would do in a pinch.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very happy that your little one is doing better:hug8:

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
I am just catching up on this story--I am so glad that she is going to be okay! Will keep my fingers crossed that she heals quickly.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a relief that Pickpocket is doing a little better. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am just catching up too! I am glad that Pickpocket is better- I am praying for her

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
thanks for the update, so happy for pickpocket! :hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
thanks for the update told you where my money was , picpocket didnt stay alive to die when mommy got home mommy and her are true fighters
great home care mom your doing fine job
prayers comming your way :heart::heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so glad Pickpocket will be ok!:hug8:
Troy dives and also welds. I would think the diving oxygen is safe? I will ask him when he wakes up.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am so relieved she's doing better. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.