• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

'Picked' by a baby!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is great that he is adjusting well.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Yoshi just came home;
He took to me and my grandma immediately when there were no more macaw/amazon screams in the background
Whistles and just loves to be pet!
How wonderful for your Grandma and Yoshi. I'm glad that Yoshi has a new home where he will be happy and that your Grandma has a new friend. :heart::heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Do we get to see pictures of Yoshi.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Update on Yoshi;
He now complains if he does not get scritches when he decides to put his head down and is eating more of his pellets (Used to have a TON of seed and millet)
Yoshi hasn't whistled a ton though since the car ride to the house and prefers to just chirp to the mirror or 'peep' if someone covers his cage.

And also a update on my baby!
I got a chance to visit the bird store today just to check up on my tiel and see how her sprained wing was doing;
and just got surprised with being able to hold her! The little chicken's personality has not changed at all; ran all the way up to my shoulder at least 3 times (leaving a ton of scratches on my arm in the process) despite the awkward bandaged wing. She let me touch the other wing and even spread it out fully (Woo! This will make harness training easier)
She has a vet visit tomorrow morning again to most likely get a check-up and see how the healing progress is going.

Pictures of Yoshi and my tiel will hopefully be up soon

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, Yoshi really just comfortably moved right in, didn't he! That's great. Also, so glad your little girl is feeling good. It sounds like she was happy to see you!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Visited the baby again yesterday;
Good news is the bandage will be coming off her wing on Monday! It's looking rough so Im sure she and the other babies will preen it.
She does not want to sit on my lap, just perches on my arm or finger because she wants to be a big bird :lol:
The store owner told me that she thinks sometime after July 4th, the baby can come home

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Glad to hear s/he is doing good!! July 4th is so close, how exciting. I bet you're bursting at the seams!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
The baby is doing very well and is nearly weaned, we're thinking she may come home next week (then we'll reveal the name :lol:)
And just recently we found my mom's bird cage that she kept her cockatiel in years ago; it is almost like this one
but is made by "HOEI" in japan. No idea what company that is?? If anyone can shed some light on it that'd be great.
It is nearly the same as this one here but that big door within a larger swinging door + 2 feeder doors are on the top level, with an extra set of doors minus the swinging one.
There are no dowel perches in it though because my mom didnt give hers any haha

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I used to have a big HOEI cage... I wasn't a fan of the bottom.

If you can afford it, I would recommend looking into a flight cage... something that has width to it. The tall cage (pretty sure you could move the door to the upper or lower level) would work temporarily, at least, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I thought it would be a bit better then the small square one until we can get a nice wide cage with more floor space^^

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I thought it would be a bit better then the small square one until we can get a nice wide cage with more floor space^^
A smaller cage with low perches may be better at first. When I got Bella, she was very clumsy so I kept her in a smaller cage with the larger cage in the same room until she wanted to go to it. Baby tiels are very clumsy and don't freak out if she breaks tail feathers.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Tiels are such incredible birds and I am so excited for you to get your baby and so happy your grandma took in Yoshi! :hug8::heart::heart::heart: Yoshi must have been so heartbroken and he can now have love and a happy home again. That makes my heart melt. Cockatiels are the best and a tossed aside birdie is so sad. Pictures pictures pictures!

Please do what you can to get a wider cage. Even the finch cage from petco for about 40 dollars would work for a while. It is 30" wide and 18" deep. It can also be purchased online. Then save for a flight if you really can't get one right now. They do have flights on Amazon for 99 dollars and free shipping though.

Also check out the dyi thread for toys. Lots of thos can be made Inexpensively, especially shreadable toys.
Think coffee filters, non metallic ,moon coated cupcake liners, tissue paper, finger traps, coin rolls, playing cards, balsa wood, sea grass from the rodent section of the pet store, etc

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Yoshi seemed to have no idea he was left behind for good- he sang a ton and let anyone pet him while at the store. It really is sad!
He's settled in well and my grandma built him a big PVC playstand with vet wrap and soon toys

I will look further into cages around and maybe I can find a nice one on craigslist..
will do!

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
He must be a really happy boy then. Your grandma is doubly blessed then to have such an awesome boy!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
the baby will come home next Saturday! 7/16/16 which happens to be the day before my birthday :xflove:
though, the one wing still seems to be droopy. The av-vet gave him/her a clean bill of health,
but the store owner suspects that the bandage was on so long it affected the wing when the baby grew.
It may be like that for the rest of their life; and affect whether the baby will be able to fly or not

I'll try to get some better pictures of the droopy wing and see what you guys think