• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Phoenix broken blood feather (graphic photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkparrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tiffany
Today Phoenix was playing on my curtains when the rod fell down and phoenix fell. He crawled up on his play stand that's when I noticed blood dripping down on the papers below, I looked up and it was coming from his tail. My first reaction was to put some Flour and water paste on it and get him to the vet to have it pulled. After tackling and towling him I got a good look at the feather I tried to put the flour around the feather but soon realized that it was bleeding to much so I was going to have to pull it. So I grab some pliers and had to towel him again. I pulled on it once and phoenix let out a scream but, it didn't come out so I pulled on it again and this time it came out. The blood stopped as soon as I pulled it out. I then put a very mad phoenix is his cage, and gave him some pine nuts and apple juice. After the ordeal I then remembered that today is Saturday and my vet is closed so the closest open avian vet is a hour and half away in Vegas. Its been about two hours now and he seems fine. The first photo is the curtain he fell from.

Attachments

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Poor baby!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You did a good job! How is the little guy doing now? :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Good Job!! I had to pull one of Truely's feathers when we first got her and it's nerve wracking for sure. Everybody needs to keep a tube of Super Clot in their first aid kit.

Ginger

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Aww. Poor Phoenix. Sounds like you handled it very well though. Way to go!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
good job!!! sounds like you handled it very efficiently and quickly...Keep an eye on him though and keep us posted please!!

pinkparrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tiffany
Other then being a little bit mad at me hes doing just fine. Hubby bought home pizza for dinner and It's phoenix's fav junk food that I let him have once in blue moon. Here's a few pics of my beautiful boy eating his pizza.:heart: Also my other baby boy smiling in the background.:hug8:

Attachments

Kathy

Poor darling. I'm glad he's ok. You did great! I've worried that would happen to one of mine. I hope I keep my head about it.
Sport loves pizza too! :)

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
WOW! Pheonix is so handsome! You did an awesome job by pulling his blood feather out!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Other then being a little bit mad at me hes doing just fine. Hubby bought home pizza for dinner and It's phoenix's fav junk food that I let him have once in blue moon. Here's a few pics of my beautiful boy eating his pizza.:heart: Also my other baby boy smiling in the background.:hug8:
How scary,im so glad that you were able to keep your cool and pull it. That happened to Skittles and I was to scared/unsure to do it,so I rushed him to my vet and thank god he was still there. I love the pic with him holding the slice in his claws,what big feet he has:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.