• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

phenobarbital?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are the side effects of this medication? I forgot to ask the vet but have a call in for him. Snuggles will be getting a very tiny amount of this to treat seizures.

Thanks.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My GW Rosie was prescribed phenobarbital before we understood it was a stroke she had and not a seizure. I was told dosing is very important as they used the term"zombie bird" to me a few times. I never gave her the medication as they were so unsure about diagnosing her it scared me. Have you also looked into DMG? DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium

@Hankmacaw

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will ask the vet about it, Sarah. Thanks.

Poor Snuggles. He keeps picking behind his wing and has opened up a sore. He now has to take an antibiotic and meloxicam and now phenabarbitol. Maybe the vet will let me try the DMG first. I can't stand that he has to be on all this medication. It stresses him out to take it.

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
In dogs, it can cause liver damage over time. Not sure about birds but maybe something worth asking

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Phenobarbitol is the go to drug in the animal world to help prevent seizures. It is a barbiturate. Here is what Mayo clinic says about barbiturates. Barbiturate (Oral Route, Parenteral Route, Rectal Route) - Drugs and Supplements - Mayo Clinic

They are a central nervous system depressant and as such Hank couldn't have them when he started having seizures a few weeks before he died. If your bird has cardio/pulmonary issues, like Hank did, you can imagine that nothing the suppresses the central nervous system is safe. As it turned out Hank's seizures were caused by low blood sugar and were simple to control once we found that out. My vet allowed me to keep a couple of injections of Valium on hand to stop severe seizures, but I never had to use them.

Jasper was on Haloperidol to control her chewing on her foot when she lost half of one toe. It was difficult to find the correct dosage and she ranged from zombie bird with too much, to freaky bird when coming down off of it. It did the job and she quit messing with her toe stump, but was nerve wracking while she was on it.

Jasper has been on DMG for over a year with no adverse side effects, but she is taking it for general health purposes.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In dogs, it can cause liver damage over time. Not sure about birds but maybe something worth asking
Yes, the liver damage was an issue with Hank too, but by the time he was having seizures his liver and kidneys were shutting down.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I already have one bird with liver issues - cockatiel Sashimi. Snuggles is not immune compromised, but did open up the sore where he chews, so he has to be on Enrofloxacin for that.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Called the vet. He had never heard of DMG. I am going to lose what left of my mind. :wacky: