• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petrie is home!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I used to have to help Mr. Smiley even though he had a moist hide. I would take him to the bathroom, run warm water and gently help him remove the shed with a warm washcloth. She is very cute, but also very thin. She needs fattening up, vitamins on alternate days and calcium on the others should be dusted on the crix or superworms. They can suffer from a disease in which they loose control of their hind legs if you don't, and eventually they die{cannot remember what reptile people call it, it's been a long time}Her tail should be big and fat, that is a sign of how healthy she is.The most important thing is to gutload the feeder bug properly. It matters not which one you choose to give her, as long as she willingly eats it, and it's been properly gutloaded.
Yeah I know she's thin, she wasn't fed as often as she should have been. They just put a dozen crickets in her cage every couple weeks, I won't be doing that. I will be feeding her crickets daily. They said she won't eat the meal worms. So I have a container to keep the crickets in. I do have to get some stuff to gut load them though, any recommendations? Also need to get her vitamins, don't worry I will fatten her up! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I actually stopped using moss on our moist hides. Monkey (leo) got impacted from it. So I put paper towels in her hide and added a bit of water to them daily, when the paper towel got yucky, I changed it, UTH is the BEST....and no leo's dont need added light.
Oh good to know! I will make one now since I have all those supplies, lol

Should the moist hide be in the area the UTH is on? I assume yes so it gets humid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pmeadfournier

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Patty
"total bites" is a great gut load. Its small green cubes. You don't want to just pour crickets in her cage and leave them there until she eats them all. Crickets when hungry or thirsty will go after your gecko for food and water. Only feed what she will eat when she is going after them. "gut loading" is key to a nice fat tail.
As for heat a heating pad is great and yes put your moisture box right over it so it can be nice and warm. The only reason I didn't ever stick with paper towels was it dried out to fast and the moss stays nice and moist all day. I would take the moss out every morning and run it under as hot of water that I could touch to clean it off and then gently squeeze it out and put in back in over the heat pad!

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm so glad Petrie is in your care now. even if you aren't a "reptile person" I know you will try your best to do what is right. :hug8:

I'm not a reptile person either, but my first thought was she looked thin, not just in her tail but her entire body. It's good she's somewhere that she'll be getting proper meals now.
I hope you post new pictures of her habitat after you've done some fixing up, I would love to see the improvements. In her too, in some months.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I always hand fed mr. smiley, I would hold them and he would come snatch them from my fingers. That way, I knew how much he was eating, and I did not have any crickets running loose. They can cause problems for the gecko.
}
here was his set up..{I taught him to poop in that vase on the left, and as he grew I had to get a bigger one:D}

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I always hand fed mr. smiley, I would hold them and he would come snatch them from my fingers. That way, I knew how much he was eating, and I did not have any crickets running loose. They can cause problems for the gecko.
}
here was his set up..{I taught him to poop in that vase on the left, and as he grew I had to get a bigger one:D}

awww, cutie!! She is not eating the crickets :( I thought maybe she couldn't see them so I removed some stuff from the cage and she stalked a few and lunged at them but never grabbed one to eat. and some she just ignored even when the right in front of her she just walked away. I had to scoop them all out with fish net thing and put them back in their container. I'm wondering if they are to big for her? But they are the size I was told she eats, the medium size without wings. I am thinking of trying the meal worms tomorrow. I was told she doesn't eat them but it wouldn't hurt to try. I may try the holding the cricket thing but it gives me the willies just thinking about it. I am NOT a bug person, they creep me out!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I know about the bug thing, but after awhile I realized that crickets were far less intimidating than superworms!:eek: They grab you!:omg: Mealworms are probably a bit small. A few wax worms might get her appetite going. But don't give many. They are like twinkies to leos. I was lucky when I had Mr. Smiley, that the cricket food dot com guy was just a few towns away. His gutload smelled like something you might eat yourself, it was awesome. I used to drive to his home and he would leave it on the porch for me, and I would put a check under his mat. sadly he got out of the business. Towards the end I used Repashy gutload...good stuff. Good luck with your little friend. I look forward to healthy updates!
a couple more pics...he was the sweetest thing and hung out even in the daytime

robots&things

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
April FitzGerald
Gorgeous lady!

Wow ... 18 years :wideyed: She's on her way to a world record; the oldest to date lived for 26 years.

Here's to a continued long life :laughing12: