• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petco prices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wish pet stores would just stop selling pets all together and stick with supplies. I have seen a few really nice and well run aquarium places, but I can only think of ONE place that sold other critters I would support with my $$ by buying things there. Consequently, I buy nearly all my pet stuff online now, for all my critters.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
As Stevo said, corellas and RB2s are about fifty bucks in Australia. My friend in Oz recently rescued an RB2 that showed up on her street and I commented to her why anyone would let such an expensive bird go loose and she corrected me, saying they are dime a dozen in Oz and if someone gets a baby and doesn't like the way it acts and it bites too much, it is not unusual for them to just open the cage and let it loose, thinking it will join a wild flock and be fine.

People are as dumb in Oz as they are here. No surprise. It turns out Johnny Walker was probably a liberated pet which became uncute when he started biting and became less cuddly. He was way to happy to be in a cage and was actually agoraphobic when loose on her street.

bongo

Moving in
I was just at Petland near my place in Winnipeg, Canada. The prices for birds are bonkers! Suns are $988. They also had a caique for over $2000. The green winged macaw was $3999. It really is too bad, because some of the poor birds are there for a long time. At one of the stores there is an Eclectus that has been there for years. It's really sad...

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I was just at Petland near my place in Winnipeg, Canada. The prices for birds are bonkers! Suns are $988. They also had a caique for over $2000. The green winged macaw was $3999. It really is too bad, because some of the poor birds are there for a long time. At one of the stores there is an Eclectus that has been there for years. It's really sad...
Yep, it's similar here and the rest of Canada. Some argue that high prices help prevent just 'anyone' from acquiring parrots, but I never bought that argument and believe high prices are just as bad if not worse for altogether different reasons.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep, it's similar here and the rest of Canada. Some argue that high prices help prevent just 'anyone' from acquiring parrots, but I never bought that argument and believe high prices are just as bad if not worse for altogether different reasons.
And what I don't get is - if you are going to buy a baby bird, a good breeder spends much more time and money on your baby then the pet store does, and yet they will charge less :confused: Pet stores I imagine would make MORE money by selling the pets at lower prices and instead having the customer spend the money on food and toys, which have higher profit margins. No matter what angle you look at it, the store makes no sense, and a breeder is by far a better option, with rehoming of course being the ideal.

TITANIS

Are you talking pet store prices?
I've seen these guys for far less from breeders.
Yes, retail prices.

And what I don't get is - if you are going to buy a baby bird, a good breeder spends much more time and money on your baby then the pet store does, and yet they will charge less :confused: Pet stores I imagine would make MORE money by selling the pets at lower prices and instead having the customer spend the money on food and toys, which have higher profit margins. No matter what angle you look at it, the store makes no sense, and a breeder is by far a better option, with rehoming of course being the ideal.
Yes, I totally agree and you know what else? I can't recall how many instances I've seen parrots and other exotics sit around waiting for a buyer, sometimes many years, and the price steadily drops over time...meaning, the profit margin also drops, further reduced by the expenditures invested to keep the animal throughout its stay whilst waiting for that elusive client with deep pockets... :shrug3:

Last edited:

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
I generally avoid pet stores that sell animals unless they actually take good care of them. Most of the ones I've seen don't.

I'm sure I've mentioned the Umbrella Cockatoo that lives at the pet store near my apartment. He has been there for years and years and years. They dropped the price down from $2,000 to $1,000 during the nine months since I've moved here. The pet store employees actually love him and play with him and want him to find a good home...yet the African Grey in the tiny cage never gets played with. Or the fifty other birds in tiny cages. I've considered applying to work there to see if I can convince them to change the way they do things with the birds but have concluded that they would most likely call me a tree-hugging liberal baby and fire me.

TITANIS

I've considered applying to work there to see if I can convince them to change the way they do things with the birds but have concluded that they would most likely call me a tree-hugging liberal baby and fire me.
Yes, and probably worse. I'm pretty sure your hypothetical tenure there would be abbreviated if you insisted on making fundamental and sweeping changes in the way they conduct their business. It's been my experience that store policies don't change swiftly or readily without external intervention, to the great misfortune of the animals concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.