• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet stores shouldn't sell birds (gorgeous but sad tiel)

oenomal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sean M
Saw this beauty in the pet store today. He/she looked so sad, as did the other 2 cockatiels they had. I don't think pet stores should be allowed to sell birds. It really puts a toll on their health, mentally and physically.
20181130_105641.jpg
This poor baby...

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I agree cockatiels are so sweet it is so sad hopefully someone will take them home

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I avoid the live pet section all together. It depresses me and I feel guilty for not taking them home with me. :(

oenomal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sean M
I avoid the live pet section all together. It depresses me and I feel guilty for not taking them home with me. :(
I usually do too but I like seeing cockatiels since im getting one soon. Sad to see them in that environment though. There was a beautiful pied boy that looked like he wanted love so bad but was also afraid of me hurting him. You can tell that most pet store birds aren't bred properly too, likely inbred. Most of the birds don't have the proper body shape and/or their feet are way too small. Breaks my heart. 20181130_105516.jpg

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Petco???

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I also wish pet stores would stop selling birds. :sad1: Preferably all, but I'd settle for at least the big chains. They could at least move towards adoption processes like they have with dogs and cats...

oenomal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sean M
I also wish pet stores would stop selling birds. :sad1: Preferably all, but I'd settle for at least the big chains. They could at least move towards adoption processes like they have with dogs and cats...
I agree, I've seen birds sit in cages for months without being sold and the only interaction they receive is from changing food and water. The budgies tend to sell quite fast but I think that's partly due to them only being $20, small, and pretty. Anything bigger than that will often stay there for an uncomfortably long time.

oenomal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sean M
I go all the way and would love to see pet stores only selling supplies. No animals, no fish or amphibians.
That might also allow pets to not be purchased by people that have no idea what they're getting into. The ones that buy an animal because it's cool even though they've done 0 research on how to care for it.

I'm all for breeders only. Large pet stores simply don't put in the time or effort to properly care for the animals. Most of the bird breeders for pet stores use the gavage method of feeding weaning babies, which is truly disgraceful. I think that's one the main reasons why most of their birds are so timid when they first come home.