1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pet sitting wing damage

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by NeuroticAlpaca, 3/19/18.

1. NeuroticAlpaca

NeuroticAlpaca Walking the driveway

Alexandra
    So I'm pre sitting for a friend of mine who's in Japan. The first day I came he had a weird scan on his wing. I let them know it looked like he has a night fright but he was no longer bleeding. Today, i think he got it because it is bleeding again. We tried applying some flour for an emergency fix, should we bring him to the vet? Now that I'm looking at it again it looks like more than a screwed up feather or two[​IMG]

Last edited: 3/19/18
  2. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    Yes, Please take her to the vet. The broken feather must be removed and wound treated or she could bleed to death.
    Good luck!

TikiMyn and Eloy like this.
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    I hope he's okay. How is he today?

TikiMyn likes this.
  4. NeuroticAlpaca

NeuroticAlpaca Walking the driveway

Alexandra
    He's doing well! Apologies for the delayed response. We managed to get ahold of his owner and apparently this happens often. We did up his wound in flour and he's perfectly fine now.

sunnysmom likes this.
  5. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Rollerblading along the road

Happens to our cockatiel every time we go on vacation :( . We had to pull a flight feather ones to stop bleeding but he normally looses them just fine. Just doesn't fly well for a while :(

6. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

saroj
    Chickie caique had one last week just like yours and the tech stopped the bleeding with kwikstop. The latest from my vet is you don’t pull the feather out, just stop the bleeding.

7. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jenny
    Pulling vs. applying pressure to stop the bleeding is variable by vet, I will say that if the feather is pulled it should be done either under anesthesia or with heavy sedation and some good pain control. It's usually a primary feather and those are seated in bone.

I've found that a nightlight helps birds that are prone to night frights. If there isn't one present you might consider it!

Macawnutz likes this.
  8. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    Glad the bleeding stopped.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)