• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pet sitting wing damage

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
So I'm pre sitting for a friend of mine who's in Japan. The first day I came he had a weird scan on his wing. I let them know it looked like he has a night fright but he was no longer bleeding. Today, i think he got it because it is bleeding again. We tried applying some flour for an emergency fix, should we bring him to the vet? Now that I'm looking at it again it looks like more than a screwed up feather or two

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, Please take her to the vet. The broken feather must be removed and wound treated or she could bleed to death.
Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he's okay. How is he today?

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Happens to our cockatiel every time we go on vacation :( . We had to pull a flight feather ones to stop bleeding but he normally looses them just fine. Just doesn't fly well for a while :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chickie caique had one last week just like yours and the tech stopped the bleeding with kwikstop. The latest from my vet is you don’t pull the feather out, just stop the bleeding.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Pulling vs. applying pressure to stop the bleeding is variable by vet, I will say that if the feather is pulled it should be done either under anesthesia or with heavy sedation and some good pain control. It's usually a primary feather and those are seated in bone.

I've found that a nightlight helps birds that are prone to night frights. If there isn't one present you might consider it!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad the bleeding stopped.