• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet shop resident

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:starshower: Welcome, Loki!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! Thank you for taking him into your home and finally giving him a safe, loving place and a name.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yep, I've lost hearing over the years. When they do that shrill shriek on my shoulder, it no longer hurts so I know they've adjusted my hearing.
Both hubby & I are slowly losing our hearing - the kids say we have to stop yelling at each other. We've turned into that classic TV couple like Mr. & Mrs. Roper from 3's company too. :batonthehead:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I can officially announce that Loki is no longer a pet shop resident. It was the Royal Tropical Fish & Bird in Royal Oak/Birmingham. Ok so here is his back story: He was purchased by the pet shop as a breeder bird for their Sun Conure breeding program but flunked out because he wasn't a good dad due to the fact that he wanted all of the human attention himself, and didn't take care of the babies. He has been there for so long because they said it took them a while to find a female breeding partner that he was compatible with, and then for them to breed. Then they waited to see if he would shape up to become a better dad, but that didn't happen. So he has been a pet shop resident for the last 3 years, even though he has technically lived there all seven of years of his life. So he now has a name and a family. We chose Loki because he looks like a fiery sunset and didn't want to give him something as common as Sunny he deserves a unique name that suites him. And honestly that's the name that popped into my head the first time I saw him. He is such a sweetheart, he is currently curled up on the back of my neck in my hooded sweatshirt. We have heard the Conure scream, he called to the cockatiels as soon as they heard me walk in the door they started contact calling for me and Loki answered. Somehow I added two of the same picture..opps. The second is my 10 year old with Loki, and the third is Loki's new Cage we bought him
View attachment 299368 View attachment 299368 View attachment 299369 View attachment 299370
It's a good thing you've got Loki for all of you. Loki looks like he just wanted people to call his own and to cuddle up to and his wish came true!

Now I can tell you about a Black Palm cockatoo in a bird only store near me that is looking for a home. The reason I mention Juno/Juneau is that she was bought for ParrotStars for their breeding program. Like your Loki, she didn't want anything to do with breeding or the opposite sex; she just wanted attention and endless head scritches. Gorgeous lady, 26 years old, tame and loves head scritches but her price puts her out of most of our reach. Mid $20K which I think for most of us is a new car.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I do have to say that in those pictures, Loki looks very happy with his choice of people.

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
After our first night of settling in as a flock of 5 with feathers and 5 with out, I feel great. Everyone seems to be doing well with the new comer or curious to say the least. Even though he came with health documents and prof of his last avian vet check, I am still not letting him out with the other birds right away. I think I'm going to just be safe and have my avian vet give him a clean bill of health for the safety of my other flock members(I'm going to give her a call Monday). They have seen Loki and can definitely hear him, so they know he's here and are curious lol. I'm still a bit heart broken over Loki's past, he doesn't seem to know what to do with toys and soaks up every second of attention you give to him....and in this house there is plenty of people willing to dish it out to him, even fighting over who gets to cuddle with him next. We all look forward to spoiling Loki and teaching how to be a proper family birb, not a pet store resident anymore.
loki4.jpg loki5.jpg loki6.jpg

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
My boy didn't know what to do with toys when I first met him, with time, your birb will remember how to be a birb. :heart: And being there with them is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world. Loki is such a handsome boy, I hope you keep updating us with his progress!